Chapter 1

The full moon was shining that night; Kisara was running, running on the way to Seth's palace near the river. She ran through the shadows, hiding from every blink of light. Torches and candles were lit in the poor rooms of the huts she passed by, but she didn't find comfort in those. She had to see Seth, and she was in a great hurry.

Her face was wet from tears, and her blue eyes were now slightly red and sore. Only an hour ago she heard the most terrifying things she has ever heard. (No…it can't be…everything but this…) She wanted to see Seth immediately, because it might be the last time she could do that. From now on, her life would change, and she was angry and furious about that. She wanted the things to stay just like they were now, but what could she do?

She reached the edge of her neighbourhood, and passed to the second block. The moon hid behind the clouds when she needed its pale light the most. The cold air pierced through her thin gown and her arms soon were frozen. She shivered, but didn't stop running.

Now the shadows engulfed her and she was invisible to the world. Shivering once more, she slid through the shadows to the Nile. Cold Egyptian night surrounded her, and locks of her light, beautiful hair flew around her. She was almost there; she was almost inside Seth's palace.

Bending and almost crawling, Kisara reached the servants gate of the palace. She quietly opened the old metallic frame and walked inside. There was small garden, designated for the servants that worked in Seth's palace. Kisara stopped and started walking slowly. She trembled and breathed hard; she was desperate and felt horrible. Silently walking, almost crying, she felt two strong arms grabbing her to a shadowed path near the main garden of the palace.

She let out on small gasp, but then she recognized the person who grabbed her. His presence was warm and comforting, because he was none but Seth. She felt him hugging her, his hands on her face, and silently his voice whispered "Tears? Why are you crying, Kisara?" he asked. She closed her eyes so she couldn't see him. She felt he was so naive, he didn't even know about the whole business around her. He didn't know he was going to lose her. Forever.

"Well, tell me!" he asked demandingly, slightly touching her face "What made you cry, my love?" Kisara didn't look up. She was afraid, afraid to lose Seth and her life and…All of her dreams. The dreams she'd shared with Seth. She opened her eyes, and searched for his in the dark.

The stars shone, and the moon appeared again, so she could see millions of sparks reflecting in them. "Seth…" she whispered, terrified, broken "I…I am lost. I can't do it. They want me to…" but then her voice broke, as more tears slid from her eyes. Seth silently brushed them away from her face, and kissed her, as she was sobbing and crying in his arms.

"It's my father…The pharaoh wanted to marry to a girl from a rich family, and my father sold me…To the pharaoh…" Seth's arms froze as he heard Kisara's miserable whispers. "No…" he said slowly, realizing what it means. More of Kisara's tears landed into his hands, she shivered again and held into him.

"You are cold, Kisara," he said, as he picked her up and carried her into his palace. The room he entered was heated and warm. A small bonfire was burning and sparkling, few torches lit the engraved walls. Seth sat down with Kisara on his lap. Her beautiful eyes were filled of tears. He caressed her smooth flesh, talking to her calmly.

"Don't worry, Kisara…" he said "We can find a way. I will find a way. I won't let the Pharaoh take you away from me. Please don't cry…" Kisara looked at him. "Do you really think we can find a solution to this?" she sadly stared into the fire, and then turned to face Seth again "I love you, Seth. I want to be with you forever. I nearly lost my mind when father ordered me to prepare for tomorrow. He takes me to Pharaoh's palace, and all I thought about was to run away. I want to run away with you, Seth."

"I love you too, Kisara, but you know we can't run away. They'll find us. My father won't let me leave my responsibilities as a high-priest." Seth stopped, thinking about the things his father told him today…His father was always looking for power and control over other people. Maybe Seth's love for power was strong, but his love for Kisara was much stronger.

He wouldn't let her go. She was his only friend ever since he has saved her from an attack in the market of the city three year ago. The men were trying to harass her because of her looks, they thought she must be cursed, and she would have surely been killed if he hadn't interfered.

Seth knew they both were so familiar. They both were pawns of their fathers; they both were used and lived in fear, hiding their love and hurting themselves time after time. They were separated before, of course. Once had his father sent him to a sailing journey for a month; he missed Kisara so much then.

His work was often standing in their way, not to mention his father's attempts to gain more power; Seth was traveling to the near and far cities and villages, searching for Kaa. He never found anything interesting, causing his father act furiously and the old man was always angry towards his son.

Kisara was also always controlled. She was pushed around, wasn't allowed to get out of her father's palace, she had to stay home and do chores all the time. She was cleaning and sewing. She ran out many times, sneaking to meet Seth and be with him. How could the Pharaoh understand her feelings? She heard about his heartlessness and cruelness. She was afraid of him. She wanted to stay here with Seth.

"I have to go there tomorrow." she said weakly into Seth's embrace. His hands played with her long light hair. "Don't be afraid, Kisara" he said "Trust me. I will be there too. I'm one of Pharaoh top-advisors; I will see you then, Kisara." He answered. Then a silence fell between the two. Seth stroked her hair gently, and she calmed down in his arms.

The night outside the room was slowly turning into a dawn, when Seth opened his eyes. Kisara was still in his arms, sleeping. He looked at her handsome face, sorrow and gloom consuming him.

Then he shook the feelings away. He had to believe. (Dear Ra…I pray for your mighty powers, stronger than any human will…Roar in your skies throughout heavens…Please let Kisara stay with me…Please let us stay together…)

He woke up Kisara, helping her to get up. She looked so gloomy and sad. "Remember", he told her while leading her to the gardens "Never give up".

She looked at him and smiled slightly. And her smile filled him with hope. "We will be together, Kisara" he said "We are going to be together".

The moon's pale light was vanishing when the sun rose up the Nile. The water streamed and small rainbows were shining through the waves. Kisara looked at Seth, memorizing his expression forever in her heart. He leaned down and kissed her.

She broke away, and turned away, running back to her father's palace. She turned around again and saw him gazing on her. She waved and ran, hiding again in the shadows of the low buildings. She walked through them towards scary and unknown fate