Chapter Fifteen

My body felt numb as if it wasn't my own. My breaths weak, my eyes tired.

I know I need to open my eyes; I know I need to take a breath of air, or I might not get through this.

With all the willpower I could, I open my eyes and gasp in a breath, but nothing came. I couldn't breathe and I started choking on my own dry tongue. The bright light felt like punches to my eyes, causing me to slam my eyes shut. 

The lack of oxygen descended on my mind in a panic, in desperation I suck in another breath, burning my lungs with a ferocity that consumed me. 

My breath shook my whole body as if it was the first time oxygen had touched my lips. My lungs felt dusty and old as if they hadn't had a purpose in years.

Soon, the breathing came easier until it felt natural again, this let my mind calm down enough to let my eyes open and focus. I'm laid on a white bed, the white cover wrapped around my body so tightly I start to wonder if the tightness was the reason I couldn't breathe.

Looking down, I could see an oxygen mask around my mouth and nose. I slowly lift my arms, trying out the sore muscles. I pull at the mask, feeling a long tube pull at my throat. So that's what made it hard to breathe by myself. Pulling out the tube, I look around the room a bit more, now that my eyes could focus on different fine details.

To my left there's a long cream table, but it has nothing on it. To my right, a blue plastic looking lounge chair, and a window next to it. My view, a grey car park with lots of cars in it.

As I look around the room more, I realise where I am. I'm in a hospital.

The door opens quickly, emerging from behind it a tall woman wearing a nurses uniform. She stops abruptly, her eyes and her mouth were frozen wide open in an expression of stunned surprise.

She rushes out the room, then reenters with another nurse hot on her shoes. They rush towards me, checking all my vitals and shinning torches in my eyes. Finally, one of the women speaks to me. "How are you feeling?"

"What happened?" I ask, ignoring her question.

"You were in a car accident, you were in a coma. How are you feeling?" She asks again.

I look around the room again, trying to find some answers. I look at the nurse again to find her still looking at me, wanting an answer.

"I'm fine, I think? Nothing hurts, I don't think it does."

She nods silently, looking down at the clipboard with charts on. "Do you remember anything?" I shake my head a little. 

She nods again, "I'll be back soon, we're going to let your parents know you're awake and get a doctor to check over you. Don't move." With that said, she walks out the door, leaving me alone. The other nurse had left after she checked the equipment I'm hooked up to.

My mind was blank, all I could remember was this deflated feeling that had once consumed me. I could remember how scared I had been.

I raise my hands up to my face to look at them; they didn't look any different to how I remembered, which was good. Behind my hands, a blurry figure stood in the door way. Lowering my hands, my eyes focus on a beautiful face, a face that looks so familiar.

Bursts of memories rush back to me, all our time together, the way I had felt with them. I big grin spread across my face, straining my dry lips.

Slowly, the figure walks over to me, stopping just a short distance from the end of my bed.

"Hi, Casper."

"Hey, Leah," I say back.

My smile flatters as I see her face, tears in her eyes. My eyebrows go up in confusion, silently asking for an explanation. She only shakes her head, letting her once shiny chestnut hair fall around her face. Now, it looks dull.