Chapter Eleven

It was like I had woken up at the hospital all over again. I was laid in my bed, my mother next to me, only this time Casper was also there, sat right beside me.

My mum had found me under the bushes, cold and damp from the night. Apparently she had a feeling something bad had happened to me, and just somehow knew where to look. Maybe it was a mother's instinct.

"I'm okay mum, you don't have to sit next to me all day." I gently smile at her.

"I know I don't, Leah, but I'm just so worried about you. It's not like you to drink, or to pass out, especially when you go alone to parties."

"I know, and I told you, I hadn't eaten beforehand as I thought food would be there, but when there wasn't, I was already too tipsy to care. I was stupid and reckless, and I'm sorry."

"I'm not mad at you, I'm just scared. With your accident only a few days ago, I couldn't bare it if anything else happened to you."

"I know," I smile at her and hold her hand for a moment. "But mum, I'm okay now, I'm not going anywhere, you can go downstairs to do some work." She starts to shake her head so I quickly speak up again, "I'll stay in bed all day and get lots of rest, I'll be fine mum."

She seems to hesitate for a moment before saying, "okay, but if you need anything, just shout me. Do you want anything to eat?" She asks, slowly rising from her seat.

"No thanks, I'm not hungry."

She nods.

Walking to the door, she stops, "what about a drink?"

"I still have my glass of water."

She nods again, "how about I run you a bath? Warm you up a bit."

"Mum," I say gently, "I'm okay."

She takes a deep breath but nods once more before stepping out the door.

I turn to Casper, who seems to not want to look me in the eye. "Hey you," I say, smiling at him.

"Hey," he smiles back, but then his eyes fall back to his hands in his lap.

"Thank you."

"For what?" He asks, still not looking at me.

"What do you think? If it wasn't for you-"

"I hardly did anything, I couldn't do anything."

"Casper, look at me." His head rises, his blue eyes meet mine. "If it wasn't for you, those guys would have got me. If it wasn't for you looking out for me and showing me the way to get out and where to hide, I don't even want to think about what could have happened."

"I swear, if those mongrels touched you-"

"But they didn't, because of you." I sit up, moving closer to him.

"I couldn't have done anything anyway," he says sourly, moving closer to me. "I can't touch anything, I can't touch you." His hand moves to my face, putting his hand against my cheek.

Although I can't feel his touch, I can feel him, his presence, I can feel his almost touch.

I tilt my head into his hand more, knowing my head will not meet a hand, just air. He removes his hand, his eyes sad.

"You did do something, I bet my mum finding me wasn't a coincidence."

His lips lift at the corners slightly, "You caught that, huh?"

I give him a knowing look.

"I may have told her where you were, and I may have repeated it a few hundred times until somehow, she heard me, or subconsciously at least."