Chapter Seven

By the time we were on the road, the sky was black and even with full beam it was hard to see the road in front. I was in a good mood since Casper's little outburst, I could see from the corner of my eye that he was still staring at me. I tried to hide my red cheeks with my hair, but he was studying me too closely to hide it from him.

"Quit staring,"

His head whips away, now staring out the window. "Sorry," he mutters.

I swallow my smirk.

I notice a row of shops coming up, they're all boarded up apart from one shop. I slow down to see it has a bright purple sign in the window reading 'Come in, we're open!'

I pull into the parking lot and park in front of the shop.

"Why are we stopping?" Casper asks, dipping his head down to look out my window at the shop. "A psychic shop? Really?" He asks skeptically.

"Hey, if you're a ghost, I'm pretty sure psychics could be real too." I say, unbuckling my seatbelt and stepping out the car. "Come on."

I hear him groan but when I look over my shoulder, he's following me.

I reach the door, and as my hand starts to raise, the door swings open, revealing a short, chubby woman with long brown curled hair and grey streaks in. Her eyes smile up at me.

"Why hello there, please, come in," she says gesturing into a dark room.

I smile a thank you and enter the room. There were tall black book shelves on every wall, stacked with books with odd symbols on. In the middle of the room sat a round oak table, with a dark purple cloth over it matching the walls. I see there's a recurring theme.

"Take a seat," she smiles. There's a pink and purple velvet sofa in front of the table, and then a big white chair opposite. The woman sits down in it, making her look even smaller.

Now that there was more light, I could see that she had piercing blue eyes and feathers in her hair. I could tell she was old, but I couldn't figure out an age. She looked anywhere from 50-80, which was crazy.

Casper came and sat next to me on the sofa, looking bored as ever.

"What can I do for you? Palm reading? Your fortune told? Or maybe you want to know about your love future love life?" She asks, her strange pale eyes darting around the room, as if looking at different books to help her with whatever she thought I needed.

Casper snorts.

"No, none of that. I actually was wondering if-" She interrupted, holding up a long boney finger.

"Don't tell me." She closes her eyes and brings her hands to either side of her head. "A boy."

Yes! I think to myself, a smile growing. Even Casper looks a little impressed.

"You want to know if he likes you."

My smile drops and Casper laughs. "Told you," he says, putting his feet up on the women's roundtable.

"Get your feet off my table young man!" The woman yells, staring at Casper. My eyes widen like an owl's. Casper's face goes even more white, if that's even possible.

"You can see him?" I ask astounded.

"No, but I can sense him. I sensed him as soon as he came in. I can feel his presence, and where abouts he is, and I could sense his feet up on my table. What's wrong with you boy? Were you raised in a barn?" She shakes her head.

"Why-" I look from Casper's embarrassed and shocked face to the woman's stern one. "Why didn't you say anything?"

"And scare the wits out of you if you didn't know? That's how you lose customers my Dear. And I don't like losing customers," she says as if it was the most obvious answer.