Chapter Fourteen

Casper wouldn't answer my burning questions until he got me home safe and sound, but that didn't stop me from asking them. 

"What do you mean you know? How do you know? Are your memories back? Did you find something at your house? Did you follow your mum to the hospital? Have you been to the hospital?" The questions came out jumbled and rushed, the realisation of Casper coming back to me sobered me up pretty quickly, and now I almost ran at his heels, trying to keep up with his quick pace to my house.

He didn't answer any of them, and his eery silence sent a wave of panic and dread into my stomach. What if he hated me? What if he came back to shout at me and tell me how I ruined his life?

Tears welled up in my eyes and I had to stop to try to remember how to breathe. "Please," is all I say to him. 

He stops slowly, not turning around. 

"Please talk to me, Casper." I choke out another, "please," before he turns around to face me. He gradually walks over to stand in front of me, still leaving an arms width.

I look up into his bright eyes, but the beautiful blue is dim and hard. I swallow down another sob. 

"You hate me." 

He stares into my eyes for a few more painstakingly long seconds before shaking his head, looking down to the floor. 

"I don't hate you, Leah," he sighs.

"You- you don't?" 

"Of course I don't, it wasn't your fault."

"Everyone keeps saying that, but it feels like it's my fault. If I hadn't been on that road, at that party, if I hadn't been born-" 

"Hey!" He raises his voice at me, bending his knees a little so he could look into my eyes better. If he could touch me, I'm sure his hands would be holding my face still so he could really look at me. "For all you know, I could have killed myself. Maybe you actually saved me."

I snorted at him, "saved you? You're in a fucking coma, Casper!" 

"A coma is better than being dead."

"Not if you don't wake up it isn't," I counter.

We both scowl at each other, neither of us saying anything else in fear of the little fight getting more heated.

"Why were you gone so long?" I finally ask to break the silence. My once hard voice, now softened to a slight whisper. My insecurities showing.

"After I found the note, I just walked around for a bit, trying to wrap my head around it. From what I saw in my house, I had a nice life. I still don't understand what could have made me want to end it all. It messed me up a little, so I came back to see you-"

"Wait, you came back?"

"Yeah, which is when I overheard you and your mum talking."

"Oh," is all I manage to say.

"I heard what your mum said, and I don't know. I was already so messed up, I felt angry, confused and so alone in everything- but," he adds quickly, seeing my hurt look, "I didn't want to burden you with everything going on in my head."

"Casper, that's what I'm here for. Why else do you think I'm the only one who can see you? We're meant to be there for each other."

"I know that now. After learning about my coma, I went back to my house and followed my mum to wherever she was going. She went to the hospital, and that's where I found myself, in the coma. It was pretty weird, a bit trippy to be seeing myself just laying there."