Ch.12

I thundered out of the forest into the open plain scouting ahead. I was so far ahead of them I could circle back and still beat them. The horse like creatures moved faster than the others like the griffin and the dragon. They were made for the air not the ground. Me I could be anything I wanted human, elf, dragon, panther if its connected to nature or earth in any way I can change into it.  The rest of them finally made it to the plains the griffin and the dragon looked to the sky yearning to fly but stayed put. "We will rest here. You have thirty minutes." Will announced I groaned I didn't need to rest but I knew they did. I plopped down and crossed my paws to wait. My side and shoulders were burning from all the running, but it wasn't hurting. That's another good thing about me I heal extremely fast. What was gaping wounds yesterday are now red scabs today and by tomorrow will be pink scars that will disappear over time. There are moments in my life that I wish I didn't have all these powers. But, if truth be told I would be miserable without ​them. I just don't want to become queen or fight the king, but as my father always said you have great power. You have a responsibility to the kingdom. Weather you are queen or not.

Silent approaching foot steps disturbed my inner thoughts. I opened my eyes and lifted my head to be face to face with William. "Are you going to stay in this form for the rest of the day?" I cocked my head at his statement yes was all I said. "Why?"
Because I can...What do you want William?  I asked I knew he wanted to know something. The real question is would I tell him. "Why did you save me?" His question caught me off guard. "I want the truth" he added. I had many answers they were all true but which one would he except. Because once upon a time we were very close friends. Plus I need you to stay alive so when the king is dead you can take the throne, I don't want it...

His face held something I can't place. He turned away and began to walk away "I am truly sorry for dragging you into this, but I have no other choice" he whispered. I was shocked how is this his fault he had orders and he fallowed them. I would have done​the same. I sinking feeling burrowed into my gut. There is something he isn't telling me.

He had just made it back to his men. "Tim and Kyle you take to the skies. Help Aurora scout ahead. You take the east and you take the west while she leads." He announced as he mounted Grunther. I stood up in a daze but launched into action.  With such open space I could go farther ahead. I rushed forward and before long they were nothing but dots on the horizon. A strange feeling seeped into my bones and was making me uneasy. I had the feeling of being watched but there was nothing or no one around. There was definitely no where to hide unless you can turn inadvisable. There was a giant rock off to the left of me. I ran and leaped to the top of it getting a better view of the landscape. I sniffed the air nothing.  I reached my mind out to Will's is everything okay back there? Yea why? he answered back Nothing I lied to him Have the other two checked in? I suddenly thought Yes about forty minutes ago...Aurora what is wrong? he demanded Nothing...I responded and closed off my mind before he could ask anything farther. 

That is the one bad thing about opening your mind like that. You tend to see more than you should. He knows something is wrong. What it is he don't know but neither do I. I looked back to see how close they are. You can now make out men and horses but that's about it. I looked forward again and that's when it hit me. It was faint but it was there. The unmistakable stench of of rotten meat mixed with a heavy musk.  I turned and launched off the rock in the direction of the group. Urgency rushed through my blood. I had no idea how close they were. If they were on the hunt and if we were being hunted. I was topping the hill when I heard clattering of metal I skidded to a halt to find what I feared most. 

The men were locked in a fierce battle with two off the most ruthless creatures of the realm.  A pain filled roar echoed through the plain. one of the men landed a blow in one. It launched at him and ripped him apart.  The animal was in a rage filled frenzy looking for its next victim. It pounced on Will and I snapped into motion. I tackled the massive creature and ripped it off of him. We went into a roll down the hill. We landed in a pill of raging teeth and stench. We untangled from ourselves and put distance between us. 

I was being circled by a bear like creature that had canines that hung a good six inches past its lower jaw. Its claws were stained red with blood. Its eyes were completely black as if possessed by a demon. It is a Sabearaton a mated pair to add. The male had plates along its back like armor. Two spikes stuck out of each shoulder. Along with his fangs he had additional spikes sticking out of his lower jaw.  It charged me I danced out of its way swiping my claws at it's back leg. It spun on me with unexpected speed. It missed my hip by hairs. It stood up on its back hunches roaring and swiping death blows inches from me. I jumped back barley dodging her claws. There was a godawful roar fallowed by gurgle. I looked to the hill to see her mate fall in defeat with will ripping his sword out of the back of its neck. She let lose a revenge filled roar and began charging Will. I took my opportunity to jump on her back. I sunk my claws deep in her flesh I latched my jaw on to the back of her neck. I leaned to the side trying to pull her over. she stumbled and went down. She was fighting for everything she had to free herself. Somehow between the fur flying bites and gouges I ended up underneath her. My claws ripped open her underbelly. She roared in pain exposing her neck I latched on for dear life.  

It wasn't long and her thrashing ceased she became very still as the last of her fight left her body. I crawled out from underneath her. I looked up the hill to see all eyes on me. Definite fear laced their eyes. I ducked my head and looked away. Knowing it wasn't just the sabearaton causing the fear. I moved to slink away and sulk when loud applause's and shouts rang from the hill. I was surrounded by them all capping me on the back. 'Good jobs' and 'boy your lucky's' came from all sides.  There was one face that wasn't here he was still on the hill. I slowly walked up to the top and surveyed the damage. We lost two men along with three mounts. My heart froze when I notice the one was still alive. "He was trying to protect me." was all he said as he pulled his knife to end his suffering. Will stop I said he ignored me I said it a little more forcefully but he blocked me out. I growled in aggravation I swept my paw out to stop him. 

It finally got his attention I can heal him..move... I demanded. I walked over to him I placed my nose on the wound and channeled the energy. His wound began to close and look as if nothing happened. His breath returned to normal his heart rate quicken with in moments he was standing. I stepped back to allow him room. I looked over at Will a single tear rolled down his face. He is healed but he doesn't have the strength to carry much wight with that I walked away to give him privacy.  

*hope this chapter was better than the last one. I have a feeling that more bad things are to come. As always thank you for reading please vote and comment* 

*Here are the Sabearatons*