Chapter Nineteen

We stood at the strip of beach in front of the house. It was a sunny day, with only a few clouds in the sky. I ripped off my sundress and laid down in the sand, digging my fingers into the ground. Was this what heaven felt like?

The sun and sand were warm against my bare skin and it felt equivalent to laying in a pile of warm laundry.

I opened my eyes to see Roger sat next to me, his head rested on a towel with his eyes closed. I admired his profile. He glowed with a soft tan under the rays of the sun and his hair fussed sexily in the breeze. His lips were soft in contrast to his hard set jaw. I loved his lips. I bit mine. How was I so lucky to have just lost my virginity to a guy like him?

He opened his eyes and looked over at me, arching an eyebrow. I only smiled, unashamed. I was allowed to ogle him. He did it to me all the time.

I sat up after another few moments of sun bathing and reached for the snorkel gear.

"Let's go in the water," I held my hand out to him once I was standing and he took my hand. I hoisted him up with a great deal of effort and he chuckled at my struggle. I took my mask out of the beach bag.

I handed him his and we strode over to the blue-green ocean. My feet met the warm water and I broke into a run before jumping into a deeper area. I was absorbed in my own world, feeling like a mermaid. I absolutely loved the sea. I tried not to think about the fact that we would have to leave in a day or two.

"Roger let's never leave."

"I'm fine with that," he agreed.

I smiled as I floated on my back. Of course we would have to go back, but I was happy to live in the fantasy that we wouldn't.

"Follow me, I know a good reef," he spoke with excitement.

I secured my mask and snorkel to my head and dove into the water with Roger, swimming alongside him. We swam a little while to a deeper part of the ocean where I could no longer touch the bottom. Small fish filled a large coral garden. It was vibrant with all colors of the rainbow. Seaweed swayed along with the flow of the tide. 

Roger looked back to me and I grinned at him. 

It was absolutely dazzling to be out here. I felt like I was in Hawaii. Though, I never had actually been to Hawaii. It was what I always imagined it would be like. I realized how spoiled I was out here. How cared for I was. I already had a good friend and a man who took care of me. No one wanted to hurt me. I felt safe. 

With a wave of gratitude I swam up to Roger and motioned for him to surface. He removed his snorkel, and I surprised him by gently placing my hand on his jaw, guiding his full lips to mine as I softly kissed him. I held my lips there for a moment and murmured, "Thank you," before pulling back. 

He smiled boyishly, "You're welcome."

 I secured my snorkel once again, diving back down to the coral. He followed me after a beat, intertwining his fingers with mine as we swam alongside each other, gazing at the beauty that surrounded us. 

A turtle swam a few feet underneath us and I nearly gasped in awe. The sun broke through the water and highlighted its green shell. 

I'd never seen such beauty, such clarity. I knew I was on a different planet but it was truly another world to be underwater. I wished I had been born a fish. 

We remained in the water for at least another hour before swimming back to land. I don't know if I'd ever felt so relaxed and happy. 

Roger sat down on the sand and looked up at me, "Come here."