Chapter Two: Reverse Psychology

The ball landed to the ground with an irritating thud that made me dig my nails into my palms. I scurried after the stupid thing, crouching so low to the floor I must have looked like an idiot, and pushed back my sweaty bangs from my forehead. Behind me, the light rip-like noise of the ball cascading through the hoop was enough to make my teeth grit. Lucas sauntered casually foreword, scooping the ball up and chuckling. He had long forgotten the mechanical- fast hoops he had thrown in succession a minute before, as it was completely impossible for me to even get close, and now had fun watching me crawl on the floor as the ball dodged my grasp once again.

There was another swoosh and-

“Twenty,” said Lucas. I squeezed my eyes shut as the ball fell to the floor behind me. I heard Lucas’s footsteps get closer and closer, and than a hand was in front of my face. I ignored his sad attempt at chivalry and stood up.

“Never mind, I’m backing out of our deal,” I said “I’ll get it myself.” Lucas gave me an intense stare, his sky blue eyes ringed with black glaring down at me. I wriggled under his gaze and was about to back up when he shrugged.

“Fine, whatever,” he said casually. I caught a glimpse of a grin as he sauntered away to retrieve his basketball.

Wait, what?

“Hold on…. That’s it? Your just going to let me back out of our deal?” I said, running after him. He turned around, eyes grazing over me like I was a textbook or a piece of dust. Totally uninterested.

“Yeah. I mean, it was stupid, and I have a game of Halo waiting for me at home. Or maybe Saw, except I can’t seem to get past level eight…..” he trailed off. He checked his watch and placed the ball back onto the rack, now appearing distracted at the prospect of video games.

And before I knew it, he was walking away, Supra sneakers squeaking against the scuffed floor, and red hair looking duller under the gray light of the hallway. I followed him even though the boy’s bathroom was the other way.

“Okay fine, fine!” I said, reaching out and grabbing his sleeve. He turned around, cocked an eyebrow, and grinned. “I take it back. Let’s just get this stupid thing over with!”

If only I had realized that jerk was using reverse sociology.

A/N: Sorry this chapter was so short! I've been really busy lately, but I plan on updating this again soon. Thank you to everyone who fanned me, you guys rock!