Chapter Three: Diet Coke

“You know, I could go in and get it myself at this rate. You’ve seriously never been in there before?” Lucas snickered. I ignored him and finally mustered up the courage to push open the door. To my surprise, it was a lot lighter than it looked, and flung into the room, hitting the wall with a bang. I winced and poked my head around the corner, hoping I hadn’t knocked anything off the wall.

“Good going,” said Lucas, striding into the room before I could stop him. I scuttled in after him, my eyes grazing the kitchenette I now stood in. There was a green-speckled counter like the kind we had in the foods room, a television on the wall, and a collection of chairs and tables spread out across the room. Near the far window was a nubbly couch covered in black cigarette holes. I stayed close to Lucas as we approached the humming white fridge in the corner.

Lucas yanked open the fridge and breezily pulled two Diet Cokes out. He handed one to me, a gesture that was oddly kind for him, and took a swing of his own. I stared at sweating bottle in my hand, and cast a final glance over my shoulder at the security camera.

Well, here goes nothing.

I twisted open the cap, the hiss making another wave crash in my stomach, and watched the foam rise to the top before faltering back down. I glanced up to see Lucas’s blue eyes trained on me, partially challenging, partially unreadable. Finally, I brought the bottle to my lips and took a tiny sip.

“There, I did it. Now can you get me my purse so I can go home? It’s been, like, half an hour,” I said. Lucas took another sip of his Coke and headed back towards the door. The walk to the boy’s bathroom was silent.

When Lucas finally gave my purse back, I tossed the still-full bottle into the trash can, my mouth tasting sour from the stolen drink. My mind raced at the endless amount of punishments I would get, not only from the school for breaking into the teacher’s lounge, but from my mother for skipping my violin lesson. Lucas and I parted ways, not even muttering a goodbye to the other. The whole walk to the band room I felt numb, and all I wanted was a shower.

Unfortunately, my day only got worse upon arrival to the band hallway. The practice rooms were all close, and I had left my violin in Room B. Fab. Now I couldn’t even practice for ensemble auditions tomorrow.

With a frustrated growl, I turned on my heels, grabbing the phone from my pocket so I could call my mother to give me a ride. As the phone rang, I headed down the silent corridors, the motion lights turning on as I walked beneath them. In the back of my mind, I wondered why the janitors already turned off the lights. It was only 7:30.

On the fifth ring I arrived at the front doors of the school. The office cubicle to the right was dark. Looking at the row of five glass doors in front of me, I could now see why.

Snow was packed in against the doors, reaching all the way to my waist. Lucas stood there with him mouth agape, staring at tremendous amounts of snow blocking our way out.

Oh great.

Hey guys! Sorry for the cliffhanger, but I've been really busy lately. If you wouldn't mind, could you leave a comment? They usually help me write better! *wink wink, nudge nudge*