Chapter Four: 911 call

“Hello, nine-one-one, what’s your emergency?”

“Uh, hi, my names Natalie Harrison and I think I’m stuck inside my school…”

“You think?”

“Well, I can’t seem to get any of the doors open because of the snow.”

“Ah, I see. Natalie, how old are you? Are you alone?”

“Uh, I’m sixteen and, no, I’m with my fr- classmate, Lucas Reynolds. But there’s no one else in the school, they’re all gone.”

“Well Natalie, I’ll contact the police and see what they can do. This snowstorm is the biggest of the season, so we’ve been getting a lot of calls. Just try to be calm and stay on the line, okay?”

“Yeah, alright.”
The Southern-drawl voice disappeared as the telephone dispatcher put me on hold. I lowered my phone to my shoulder and looked up at Lucas.

“Good job idiot, now we’re going to be stuck here all night,” I spat. Lucas glanced up at me, his mouth drawn in a line and green eyes turning to stone.

“Hey, I’m not happy about this either Blondie. How the hell was I suppose to predict this?” he said. I rolled my eyes.

“It’s still your fault for keeping me so late. I was suppose to have a quick violin lesson and get out of here, but no, instead I’m stuck gallivanting around the school with you, trying to get my damn purse back!” I yelled. Lucas stood up, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Gallivanting? Who the hell uses the verb gallivanting?” he said. I could feel heat crawling up my neck, starting at my collarbone and working it’s way up.

“Anyone who doesn’t sit around all day playing Halo,” I replied.

“At least it’s better than reading a dictionary all day,” he said. I rolled my eyes and walked to the window, looking out at the mess of snow. The trees seemed like huge beasts as the wind tugged and pulled at the branches, making them wave their arms in the cold, and the snow danced in the air, ghost ballerinas that swirled around in a way that made my head spin. The fine powder seemed so light, it was amazing it could settle into this ice-rock that jammed the door.

I heard a mouse voice pipe “Hello?”

“Hello?” I said, bringing the phone to my ear.

The following conversation was absolutely surreal as I explained my situation to the police. Lucas sat, watching me and moping in the corner, eyes looking like an upcoming storm overhead. I watched his facial expressions as I repeated some of the outrageous things the police told me.

“But you’re the police!” I yelled “You have to come save us!”

“Ma’m, please calm down. As the situation stands, all of the roads are closed, and the power is down in half the city. All of our men are on duty, and we can barely travel from place to place,” said Officer Ronald.

“Okay, but that doesn’t mean-”

“We will come and get you, but it’s going to take a while.”

“How long?”

“That depends on how our other duties work out. As it is, Harrison High School is already an hour away from town, during good weather. It would probably take us five hours to get down here, even if the roads weren’t shut down.”

“Okay, fine, so five hours then?”

“No. About four days.”

A/N: Sorry this took so long to update, I've been really busy with the school play. I hope you all enjoy this, I'm apologize for this chapter being mostly dialouge. I'll try and make the next chapter really, really good! So anyways, vote and comment, and I will send you love!