Chapter Twenty: National News

I have cracktastic dreams.

Lucas was curled up next to the window reading Catcher in the Rye, and I was lying on the library couch when I fell asleep. My dream went a little like this:

I sat in Mrs. Ellis’s classroom taking a AP government test. While I was trying to decide between a.) unitary government or b.) bureaucracy (why I dreamed about these terms, I will never know), the door swung open to reveal Lucas wearing his gym clothes.

“Nat, you gotta hurry, the tardis is waiting for you!”

“Lucas, what the hell are you talking about? I’ve gotta finish my test!” I replied.

“I’m not Lucas,” he said “I’m the Doctor!”

Oh. Shizzles.

Well, now I was at the tardis, a blue police box that travels through space and time. At this point in the dream, nothing weird had happened. That was, until Lucas leaned down and kissed me right on the lips. I felt like my stomach was full of hot Diet Coke, bubbly and warm at the same time. I reached up, running my fingers through his hair, and he responded by wrapping his arms around my waist. He pulled back.

“What was that for?” I asked, breathless. Uh, I sounded like the star of a soap opera, but for some reason I didn’t care. Lucas chuckled.

“Genetic transplant, dear. Don’t get too worked up, I’m a time lord, so I can’t fall in--”

“Natalie, wake up!”

My shoulder was shook roughly, but I only squeezed my eyes tighter. My hazy mind wanted to be back in the warm caress of the dream world, and my heart squeezed at the memory of that kiss.

But then common sense kicked in.

My eyes snapped open, but I jumped to find no difference. The library was pitch black, save for the dim light seeping in under the door. I blinked a few times, aware of Lucas’s warm hand resting on my shoulder.

“What’s going on?” I mumbled. Instinctively, I reached up, grabbing onto Lucas’s sleeve in the dark.

“The lights went out while you were asleep,” he said “We should probably head back to the teacher’s lounge.” I nodded, then realized he couldn’t see me.

“Yeah,” I said. I kept a hold on his arm as we weaved our way through the dark library. Lucas lead the way, since I tended to trip over anything and everything as well as run into a few bookcases. At one point my face decided it wanted to make friends with the floor, but was intercepted since Lucas caught me in his arms. I got a whiff of his cologne. I could feel his strong, warm arms wrapped around me.

It was dark so I let myself smile.

Finally we made it out of the library. The hall was shady, the only source of light being the gray haze that seeped in through the window at the end of the corridor. It took me a second to realize I was still holding onto Lucas’s shirt sleeve and I let go halfway down the hallway. This was not a good idea, however, because Lucas took this as an opportunity to hold my hand.

Sheesh, one date and the guy thinks he’s my sweet honey lovings.

And there it was again-- that little tug at my aorta (or maybe my pulmonary artery, I’m not sure yet), my stomach acid replaced by frockling fairies who really needed to cut down on the coffee, and a flutter of my eyelids, as if my eyelids think they’re freaking butterflys or something. It didn’t make any sense. I mean, this was Lucas.
But for some reason, I didn’t yank away my hand.

We reached the teacher’s lounge and slipped in quietly. I flicked the light switch a few times. Nothing. Then a horrible realization hit me.

No T.V. or computers!