Tripping And Falling

After dropping Grace off to pick her car I headed home and proceeded to freak out. I'm not really sure if I'm more horrified for myself or for Grace. My mother can definitely be a handful and I know she already has it in her mind that something is going on between Grace and me and there's no changing it. So basically, Grace better expect the third degree.

"Emma." My brother pulls me from my thoughts. I turn over to see him standing in the doorway.

"Come in bud." I swing my legs to hang off the side of the bed as he plops down next to me.

"Mom invited Grace to dinner." He says simply, glancing up at me.

I choke out a laugh, looking down at my little brother. "Yeah I know. You nervous, buddy?" I pop a brow and wait for his answer.

"Not a chance." He says quickly, slapping my arm. "I'm just wondering how you're feeling..." He lets his statement linger in the air as his eyes slowly make their way up to mine.

Why does he care what-- "Oh my God!" I half scream, cutting off my own thoughts. His eyes go wide like he knows I've figured out something I wasn't supposed to. "You little munchkin." I flip him back onto the bed and start to tickle him. "Spill it, now." I point a playfully stern finger at him with my left hand as my right continues to tickle him.

"Okay okay okay." He chuckles out, barely able to catch his breath. I narrow my eyes at him as I dismount, allowing him to sit up. "I'll never tell." He says quickly, trying to run away. I grab him and toss his little body back on the bed softly; continuing my tickle fest.

"I've got all night Ty." I explain. He chuckles, trying to catch his breath.

"No don't make me." He laughs out.

"Spill your guts little boy." I tickle him even faster.

"Alright, okay!" He shouts through giggle fits. "I tried to set you up with Grace because I didn't want you to leave." He finally gets out. I pause my tickling, looking down at my little brother.

"What do you mean?" I ask as he sits up, fixing his hair and clothes.

"I don't know." He shrugs.

Oh no, he's not getting away that easy. "Of course you do Ty, you said it." I turn to face him, pulling my right leg under me.

"I don't want you to go, Em." He says softly as he plays with his hands.

"Ty buddy I don't really have a choice." I try to explain to him.

"Mom told me about your friends; the two that left you." He turns to look at me, his eyes sparkling with unshed tears. "She told me that because they left you, you had to leave too." I place a comforting hand on my little brother's shoulder.

"Ty I--" I honestly don't know what to say right now. He's partly right. I did leave because George and McKenzie left, but it's so much more than that too.

"I thought maybe if I could get you a new friend you wouldn't have to leave again. If you cared for Grace enough you'd stay home this time." His tiny eyes bore holes into mine as he awaits my response. My heart breaks because he has no idea how much more I feel at home because of Grace and it makes leaving that much harder. And don't even get me started on how hard it's gonna be to leave this little guy. "I just don't want you to go." He adds, finally letting his tears fall. I grab him, pulling him into my arms.

"I know bud, I know." I whisper, rubbing circles in his back as he cries into my arms.

It's unintentional but we both fall asleep. A day of tears can take a toll on a person. After crying at my new spot and having the talk with Ty, my body is wiped. I stir awake and smile at my little brother curled into a ball, digging into my side. I laugh quietly and stretch out my arm to grab my phone. I look at the time and it's already half past six any other day I wouldn't care but my heart begins to race as I notice the screen of texts from Grace. Each one is asking me about dinner. I start to panic again and I try my best not to wake Tyler up.