Bon Fire

"The party of the century, hardly." Mckenzie scoffs as we walk into Jackson's house. "There's only like a hundred people here."

"Only?" I turn to my best friend with a raised brow.

"Yeah." She shrugs as we make our way further into the house."

"To constitute as a good party there has to be a least three hundred people." George rolls his eyes. "Mckenzie's rule."

"You know you look extra gay when you do that right?" Mckenzie asks our friend with a serious look on her face.

"No." George lips twitches. He hates when Mckenzie says that.

"Whatever you say." Mckenzie shrugs, brushing past George and disappearing into the crowd.

"Why does she always do that?" George thumbs in the direction Mckenzie just disappeared.

"I wish you two would just get together already." I roll my eyes, following Mckenzie's actions.

"Seriously!" I hear George yell to my retreating figure.

-

"Mom I'm headed over to The Row, I think I'm gonna stop by Mr. and Mrs. Williams's first though." I yell into the kitchen from the foyer, grabbing my jacket off the rack.

"I was just cooking lunch, Emma." My mom says, emerging from the kitchen. "It's your favorite." She adds for good measure.

"Chicken and Rice?" I question.

"Yes, unless you have a new favorite. Was there something else you wanted me to cook because I can whip something up it's really not a--"

"Mom." I cut her off, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"It's still my favorite mom, trust me. Can you save me a plate? I just made plans with a friend. I don't really wanna be late."

"A friend?"

"Yes mom, her name's Grace." I answer with a playful eye roll. "I am capable of making friends, mom."

"I know honey, I wasn't..." She pauses shaking her head. Oh no, I made her feel bad. I didn't mean to.

"I was just jo--"

"Have fun baby." She leans forward, kissing me on the cheek. I'll have you a plate in the microwave."

"Mom I--"

"I know." She nods and gives me a small smile. Nice going Emma! I mentally berate myself for being such an idiot. My mom is only trying to help and I know the subject of my friends isn't something she really likes to joke around with. The thing is... I haven't really talked to anyone or gone anywhere in four years. After the accident I got my GED, joined the army and haven't really looked back. I feel bad that the only time I came home to visit in the past four years was two years ago, when my dad was in the hospital for a work related injury. The army has given me tons of leave, I just never take it. Honestly, I didn't see the point. And if it was mandatory to take it, I would just go somewhere like Alaska or something. Anywhere but here.

Being here hurts too much.

Reminds me of what's missing.

"I love you mom." I tell her as she turns to walk back into the kitchen.

She stops, turning to face me with a smile and replies, "I know darling, I love you too." She gives me another quick kiss on the cheek before scurrying off into the kitchen. I sigh, turning to grab my keys off the table. I hate how stupid I can be sometimes.