Playing Pretend

"Emma, Emma dear." I listen to my mom call to me from the door. I keep my eyes closed, hoping she'll just go away. "Emma..." She waits to see if I'll awake and answer. When I don't she closes the door behind her. I sigh as I turn over, putting my back to the door. As least this way I don't have to close my eyes when she comes in again. That was the fourth time since this morning that she's come in. The subtle creaking of the door lets me know that she's back yet again. I'm not even sure why I'm pretending to be asleep really. Especially since I haven't slept well for the past four years; whether it be nightmares, late night drills or middle of the night raids, there was always something pulling me from my sleep.

I listen as she stands in the doorway; watching me, before she moves closer. She hovers for a minute, breathing deeply, then disappears back into the hallway she just came from. I know she just wants to find out about my late night last night. The last time I was out that late she got a phone call. A call no parent wants to get. So I know that she's just worried about me. I get it, honestly I do. But I cant be here and pretend to be normal if she continues to hover like she's doing.

I grab my phone to check the time, completely dismissing the clock that's on my nightstand. I don't know why, but I check to see if have any new messages. I'm not expecting any and I don't have any real reason to receive any, but I do. Before I can feel any kind of way about my lack of a social life my door creaks again.

I sigh. "Mom it hasn't even been five minutes since you last came in."

"It's me, Em."

I drop my head to the side to see my little brother peaking his head in. My brows furrow in confusion as he sneaks a look behind him. He quickly faces me again and slides his tiny body through the small space he made in the doorway. He shuts it quietly and I cant help the small laugh that escapes me.

"Buddy what are you doing?" I sit up leaning on my elbows and watch as Tyler presses an ear against my door. He waves a hand a shushes me.

"Mom told me you were sleeping and not to bother you, so I had to sneak and she's right down the hall." He explains this to me never taking his ear away from the door. He nods once, sure that the coast is indeed clear and steps further into my room. He sweeps his brown hair away from his eyes and clasps his little fingers together. "Hey Em."

"Hey Ty."

"So I have a proposition for you."

Did he just say proposition?

"Why do you know words like proposition, you're seven."

"I read." He shrugs and tells me simply like its the most obvious answer in the world. I'm going to have to take a look at these books he's reading. "As I was saying. I have a proposition for you." He climbs onto my bed and looks me straight in the eyes. I'm a little scared honestly. "So I have some birthday money and I'd like to go the mall and buy some stuff. If you take me, I'll buy you lunch." He smiles widely and I laugh at how adorable my little brother is. I sit up and pull my knees close to my chest.

Just out of curiosity I ask. "How much birthday money you got bud?"

"$75" He tells me proudly, pretty impressed with himself, I push my lips out and nod in amazement. I take him up on his proposition simply because its evil to tell this little boy no. I offer to pay for lunch though. It's probably best that I leave my room before my mom checks for a pulse.

I send Ty off to get ready. As I close the door behind him, I hear my mom whine that she told him not to disturb me. He whines back that he didn't and I smile at the simplicity of my family. Simple is all I can handle right now. Even that, I'm not entirely sure I can manage.