Chapter Nineteen

*six days later*

Emily's pov:

"What do you mean 'I have to go again'?! I have plans tomorrow!"

"Em, therapy is once a week. You have to go. I promise it'll help," my mum tried not to yell.

"Maybe it's helping you, but I'm not crazy! I don't need to go to therapy! You and Dad think something's wrong, but nothing's wrong!" I shouted, knowing full well that last sentence was a lie.

"Emily, nobody thinks you're crazy. And there clearly is something wrong. Maybe it's not something you understand. It isn't always easy to understand what's going on in our heads," she argued, growing impatient.

"I understand myself just fine," I spat. I didn't. I didn't understand myself. I didn't understand why my world seemed to be constantly crumbling.

"Well, I guess we'll see what Renee thinks tomorrow," my mother sighed.

"I know mental illnesses can be genetic, but I'm not crazy like you," I muttered before turning and running upstairs. As I exited the room, I could hear my mum sigh. I knew I'd hurt her feelings. I always do. I can't do anything right. Well, except for music. I'm good at that. I'm not good at anything else though. I always hurt my mum, which causes my dad to be angry with me. I can't go very long without yelling at Saige. I was a disappointment to Aunt Megan and Isy when I started hanging out with Uncle Cameron. I just don't know what to do anymore.

I feel a tear run down my cheek. I was so lost in my own dark thoughts I didn't realize I was crying. I wiped my tears away. Emily Mae does not cry.

*next day*

"Where is Mum? We have therapy in a half hour," I told my dad.

"Your mum is in the backyard, and it's just you who has therapy. Renee wanted a one on one with you today," my dad explained to me.

"Ugh! Mum's forcing me to attend her therapy, and she's not even going?" I asked annoyed.

"Emily, it's family counseling. Sometimes, it's just your mum, sometimes, it's both of you, and, today, it's just you," my dad sighed, already annoyed with my attitude. My dad drove me to Renee's office. I wasn't looking forward to this. It seemed pointless to me.

When we reached the office, my dad and I waited until Renee was ready for me. My dad paid her in advance before leaving. He said he was going to drive around a bit while I was in therapy.

"Hi, Emily. Come in, come in," Renee smiled warmly at me. I entered her office, and we both sat down.

"How are you doing?" Renee asked.

Tyler's pov:

Megan and Liz had gone out to lunch, so I was picking up Isy. That little girl may not be my biological daughter, but I will always love her as though she was. I see so much of Megan in Isy. Her smile looks just like Megan's. Her laugh is so similar to Megan's. Isy portrays Megan's grace and kindness.

I try very hard to be a good father to Isy because I know Cameron hasn't exactly been father of the year, especially lately. I hope when Isy is an adult, she looks back and remembers having a good father, even if I'm not biologically related to her.

I pulled up to Isy's school just as the bell rang. A few minutes later, Isy exited the gates. As she approached my car, she seemed sad. She was walking head down.

"Hey, Isy. How was school?" I asked once she got in the car.

"It was fine," she mumbled. Usually Isy tells me all about her day as soon as she sees me.