Chapter Fourteen

*Two weeks later; Thursday night*

Megan's pov:

I was laying in bed. All I did was toss and turn. I couldn't fall asleep. I keep thinking about the stupid custody battle. I just want it to be over already. I keep telling Isy that she won't ever have to see Cameron again, and it's going to break her heart if I lose.

Isy goes back to Cameron's tomorrow. I'm hoping it's the last time. Isy hasn't been her usual happy self lately. I thought talking it out at the family meeting would make her feel better, but I think all it did was allow her to not hide her sadness. I'm glad she's not hiding her feelings, but I hate that she's so sad. She really hates being around Cameron. It's gotten to the point where I wondered if abuse was involved. I know Cameron would never hit her, but I was wondering if he verbally abused her. Isy said he wasn't, but he kind of acted like she wasn't there.

There was a knock on my door.

"Come in," I said. Tyler was working really late tonight, so I went to bed without him. My daughter slowly entered my room.

"What's up, baby?" I asked. Isy climbed on my bed and hid her face in my stomach. I realized she was crying.

"Honey, what's wrong?" I asked worried.

"Mum, you have to win," Isy sobbed.

"Oh baby, I will," I promised her.

"I don't wanna go back to Cameron's," she continued crying. Now, I hate what a terrible father Cameron has been to Isy, but it broke my heart to hear her use his first name. I stroked Isy's hair.

"Do I really have to go back tomorrow?" She asked.

"Honey, it's just for the weekend," I told her.

"But he doesn't even want me there. Why does he hate me?" Isy cried, breaking my heart. I rubbed her back. I did the one thing that always calms her down without fail.

"Favorite person in the room, no matter where we go. Highs and lows and inside jokes and secrets no one knows. Love doesn't mean a reason. And time doesn't mean a thing. As long as I've got you hear with me. Time zones and different roads. If I ever lose my way I'm not alone. One will do, but we're better off as two. 'Cause home isn't a place. Home is you," I sang softly until her cries stopped and she was asleep.

Isy's pov:

*Friday*

Mum was driving me to Cameron's house. I begged her not to make me go, but she said that would be illegal. I stared out the window as we drove. I didn't want to go. Why did I have to go? All Cameron does is make me feel unwanted. Olivia acts like I'm her servant, and Ashley hates my guts.

"Mum, I really don't want to go," I pleaded as we turned on his street.

"I know. I'm sorry, baby," my mum said. I could see it in her eyes that she really was sorry.

I don't know why, but suddenly, it felt like I couldn't breathe. My jaw tightened so that I couldn't speak. I began shaking. Then, my breathing started again, but really fast. Tears welled up in my eyes.

"Mum, I don't want to go! Don't make me!" I yelled. I was crying and shaking. I couldn't control my breathing. My mum pulled into his driveway, and I cried harder. She wrapped an arm around me.

"Sweetie, it's okay. It's okay. Copy my breathing, honey. You're okay. You're okay," my mum tried to calm me down. After about a minute, I began to calm down, and my breathing returned to normal.