Chapter 10. The Call

(Filler Chapter)

Chapter 10. The Call

I let out a mouthful of breath and place my hand on my chest.

“Do you like Shane?” Nicky repeats his question, staring at me under his eyelashes. Hearing his question once was enough to dread me to death, nevermind the second time.

And even though Tokyo currently has a chilly weather, I can feel the sweat trickling down my tensed body. I didn’t see this coming and so I’m caught off guard with no idea on how to deal with this muddle.

“N-nicky, this is… this is nonsense” I try hard to make my voice less shaky

“No, Lauren! And please… just answer me straightforwardly.”

I bite my lower lip and scan the entire bus in paranoia. Kian and Mark have already fallen asleep while Bryan and Shane are having what seem to be a heart-to-heart talk, just minding their own world. A sigh of relief then escapes from my lips.

“So what do you think of me now, a liar?” Yes I know I am, but there’s no way I’m going to concede. Secrets are meant to be kept.

“I’m just asking for confirmation. Just answer with a yes or no. Is it hard, huh?” Nicky sounds to be challenging me.

Wiping off the sweat on my face, I look out the window of the bus and reply sternly, “No, I… don’t like him.” I then close my eyes hoping that my answer is enough to shut him up.

“But I saw the two of you earlier. I was looking out the window when I saw Shane gave you his sweater and walked past you. You reaction was… well, you stood frozen there for minutes like a schoolgirl who had just seen her crush. And everytime you’re near Shane, I notice that you’re acting quite far from normal. I’m an observant person, Lauren,” Nicky rambles on about his observation.

“You’re…absolutely wrong, Nicky. I really really don’t have a thing for Shane! He’s just my friend and…” I trail off but then fail to fill up my explanation as though saying that I only treat Shane as a friend will suffice.

He straightens his body and runs his palms down his face before then looking back at me. “I’m sorry for being too malicious. Yeah, we’re all friends; I shouldn’t be making a big bunch of shites out of everything. I’m really sorry”

Guilt slaps me right on my face. “Uhmm… it’s OK Nicky, you don’t have to apologize. But…what if…”  I look straightly into his eyes and gulp. “what if my answer to your question is yes, would there be a problem at all?”

He quickly looks away as if my eyes pierce through his. I poke him in the ribs “Hey, answer me!”

“It’s not my story to tell”

I raise a quizzical eyebrow “What do you mean?”

“N-nevermind” he waves his hands dismissively and smiles at me weakly.

Does he know something I don’t know? If yes, what could it be? But then again, who am I to assume that he’s keeping something out of my knowing when I have a secret of my own as well?

Silence falls between us until we reach the hotel we’ll be staying in while we are here in Japan.

“Good night, lads” I say to all of them before entering my room and dozing off.

“Good night too, Lauren” they all reply and wave their hands to me, stepping inside their rooms afterwards.

It’s been a long day, not to mention that I almost thought it was my last day on earth. Who would ever expect that Nicky would ask me such question? Clearing my mind from everything, I stare out the window, taking in the beautiful view of Tokyo as it seems to twinkle before my eyes.

What does tomorrow have in store for me? For us?

 --------------------------------------

(The next day...)

This day is starting to completely take my life away. My job which I thought was cushy, turns out to be stressful. I bloody ought to arrange the schedule of TV and radio guestings, promotional showcase and other related stuffs of Westlife. Very suitable for my competency, right? Note the sarcasm.

Actually, Westlife is having a guesting in a TV show right now while I'm just here in the backstage, waiting for them to get finished so we can have a rest before we go to attend another show, again.

My eyes are glued on the black curtain in the backstage where the guests pass by. I hope Westlife get done with this soon. But I still need to wait for about an hour because the show has just actually started. I'm a total loner right now.

Then I see a figure of a man beneath the curtain. I straighten my body and pretend that I'm having a good time when in fact, I'm utterly stressed and bored.

I jolt up in astonishment when I see Shane come out of the curtain, his hand covering his nose. "S-shane?"

"Hey, show's done already?" I stand up and walk over to him

He shakes his hand and lets out a sneeze. "E-excuse me"

"Oh my god" my hand flies to my mouth. "You have the sniffles?"

He sneezes again before he answers, "Y-yes"

I hurriedly give him a bottle of water and anti-histamine "Take this so that you'll feel better"

Following my instruction, Shane takes the medicine. "Thanks" he says, smiling at me

"You alright?" I inquire worriedly. I can't take seeing him like this.

"I'm okay, sniffles can't kill people"

"But Shane, it'd be better for you to take a rest"

"No need, Lauren. Thanks for your concern but I gotta go back to the stage. Show's not yet done"

"Oh, are you sure you're okay?"

"I am, thanks" he answers and smiles at me before retreating.

Seriously, it's OK to him to show on TV in that condition?

I sit back down in my chair and start contemplating. If it's not because of me, this wouldn't have happened. If Shane didn't give me his sweater, then he surely won't catch a cold.

Then here's come the guilty feeling again. What on earth have I done?

For the nth time, my bloody phone rings. I then bring my phone out my bag. Rolling my eyes, I answer the call.

"Hello?" I say wearily

There is a long silence on the other end of the line before a man replies "H-hello. Uhmm... is this Lauren?” I take it that he's American because of his accent.

"Yes, sir. Who's this?"

No reply comes shortly but I can hear him sigh. I wait for half a minute for him to speak up but he never does. If this man only wants to pull a prank, he could've just tripped his foot over his or talk to himself instead. He's wasting my time!

I've had enough. I end the call and place my phone on the table. After a minute, my phone buzzes, indicating that a message just came in.

As I open to read the message, my eyes nearly pop out of my head.

| Sorry for not saying anything earlier. I just didn't know what to say. But Lauren, I miss you. Me and your mom already miss you. Please come back home soon. |

Dad?

>------------------TBC----------------<