Chapter 25. You Didn't Tell Me

Song for this chapter: You Didn't Tell Me by Lawson

*************

Westlife have just been told that their second album will be released in Ireland and the UK next month. The lads are pretty excited about it and my uncle, Louis Walsh is very confident that it's going to be a massive hit. During the meeting, he stressed out how Coast to Coast is more poppy and more boyband-like than the previous one and is expected to sell millions of copies worldwide. Blah, blah, blah. He's a bit talkative, isn't he?

I'd been itching to go home and take a rest throughout the meeting. Thankfully, my uncle had stopped babbling after 2 hours. Without further ado, I quickly flung myself towards the door and walked out.

Now we're at the hotel, having our lunch. Just me and the lads. Louis had to fly over England by 3 PM for a reason I don't care about.

All the 6 of us are seated at a round table with a big plate of pasta and steak placed at the centre. I'm sitting between Mark and Bryan. Unusual, I know, but I need to get used to it eventually. I can't just go near Nicky like before. The situation is a whole lot different now.

"So, what do you think about our new album?" Shane asks me, breaking the silence between the six of us. Their heads turn towards me, making me feel a bit self-conscious

I swallow my food a little less gently and answer, "It's class and yeah, more poppy than your debut album. I think I'm already in love with... What Makes a Man and My Love."

Kian, who has just come from the loo approaches, takes his seat and innocently he asks, "You're in love with who?"

I just choke on my food. Instinctively, I bring my hands to my chest, trying to get a mouthful of breath.

"Take a drink!" Bryan hands me a glass of water frantically, looking so worried that I feel a need to look away.

"I'm so sorry! Are you OK, Lauren?" Kian apologizes.

Bryan pats my back gently. "You'll be alright."

"I'm... I'm OK now," I say, coughing. "Sorry if I got you guys worried."

"Are you sure?" Bryan doesn't look convinced. He takes my hand and squeezes it hard. "I was panicking a while ago."

I smile whilst pulling my hands back to me little by little, "I just choked on my food that is all, you don't have to worry about me."

"I just want to make sure you're safe. Don't you know that it could've killed you?"

"Bryan, I'm perfectly fine, nothing bad happened," I assure him. Why is he even making a big deal out of it?

He touches my face, not even looking less worried. "I just got scared, I'm sorry."

I smile nervously, not knowing what to respond to that. He's just too nice that it makes me feel sick.

"Shall we eat again?" Nicky butts in, making me jump out of my bubble of thoughts.

As if on cue, I tear my eyes away from Bryan and that's when I notice that they're all looking at me. At us. Even gawking.

"So, do you have anything you want to tell us?" Kian says.

I raise my eyebrow, clueless, "What do you mean?"

Kian folds his arms across his chest as if to signal that he's being real serious. "What exactly is up with the two of you?"

A moment of silence. I fumble with the spoon and fork in my both hands whilst taking inaudible gasps. This is so not good.

The other lads still have no idea what's up with me and Bryan. Suffice to say, Bryan is courting me without them knowing. Not that we're terrible friends, we're not just that ready to face their questions and deal with loads of attention from the press.

What have I gotten myself into? My decision has already been made. I gave Bryan the opportunity to prove himself to me, that we could be something. (His words, not mine). I sacrificed my own happiness just to see him happy with me because I know he deserves it. But, am I just giving him false hopes?

The air smells of tension as the question stays hanging. I don't think this is the right time to tell them about me and Bryan. "Uhm, guys," I start and then look back at Bryan who seems to be deep in thought. For a moment there, I feel like whispering to his ear asking him if we should inform the lads already or not. But I decide against it. "I don't know what you mean by that question but--"

Bryan cuts me off midsentence, "Truth is, I like Lauren and I'm courting her."

That's not what I expected. Why the hell did he say that?

"Wow, just wow, that's a good news then." Shane is the first one to comment and then followed by Kian and Mark. I bow my head down, not wanting to see their expressions. It will just make me feel guilty about initiating this charade. Well, uh, I'm already feeling guilty actually.

I hear them applaud and say something nice to us in a teasing manner. This doesn't feel right at all. Then there comes more teasing and them saying good luck wishes to Bryan until I hear someone push his chair out of the table.

"I'm just going to ring someone," I hear Nicky say in a hurry. His voice is stone cold without any hint of glee.

Now I wonder what he feels right now. Is he just masking his surprise or is he mad at me because I didn't tell him anything about this? We used to stick together, we used to solve problems together, well mostly my problems. When I experienced my first heartbreak, he was there. He's always been there for me until I started to like him. Not only did I sacrifice my happiness but also the kind of bonding we had. Am I that horrible of a person? Just ruining things and leaving them without taking culpability on the damages I have caused?

I finally look up to scan Nicky's face but he's already walking away.

I should apologize, I really should. I should talk to him and explain to him that things are not the same as before.

"I'm just going to fix my dress. Would you guys mind if I go to the loo for a minute?"

I don't wait for their answer. I just literally head towards the loo at first when they're still looking, and then divert my direction to where Nicky passed by a while ago.

He's nowhere to be found and I have no idea where he has gone. I hate him for being a fast walker. Feeling frustrated and useless, I go outside the hotel to breathe some fresh air. Not the kind of air that reeks of tension.

Not too long after, I spot a familiar blob of blonde hair at the corner of the street inserting coins in a vending machine. I smile, knowing it's him. That stature, that gait, it only belongs to him.

"Nicky," I whisper as I make my way towards him. His back is turned to me so I can't see his face. He's drinking beer from a tin can.

I see him wipe his face with the back of his palm. The butterflies in my stomach suddenly come back to life and it becomes harder to breathe. It's been a while since I got this close to him and I'm itching to get even closer.

He finally turns around, his face pink, his eyes watery. "Lauren..."

And that's what it takes to lose my self-control. Without even thinking, I inch closer to him welcoming his ever so musky scent and give him a tight hug.

I know he'd be like, "What the hell are you doing? Are you nuts?!" whilst pulling away from me and I can practically imagine him frowning, his brows knitted in confusion.

But I'm wrong. Nicky hugs me back and I'm the one who got confused because I have no idea what is that for.

----------TBC----------

Again, sorry for the late update and I know this is short ! Things just keep on getting in my way. I was sick, I had exams and just the mere fact of going to school makes me feel worse. Hope you understand and thank you for sticking with me. Just a few more chapters to go :) xx