Chapter 10

Ruby

Meanwhile...

I wait for Sapphire and her new Silver friend at the place CJ took me on our first date. The Secret Grotto. I order a water as I hear someone approach. I turn to see Sapphire and a boy with brown hair and gray eyes coming my way. They sit down across from me with small smiles on their faces.

"Ruby, this is JP," Sapphire says, "JP. Ruby."

"it's nice to meet you, Ruby," he smiles.

"You too, JP," I respond.

"Sorry to be blunt," Sapphire tells me, "but what's your plan?"

"There is a way for me and JP to switch places," I reply.

"Excuse me?" JP questions.

"I mean, you become a Gem and I become a Silver," I explain.

"How?" JP asks.

"I met this sorceress," I answer, "she said that she'd be able to perform the ritual for it."

Sapphire and JP exchange a look then back to me.

"What is the catch?" Sapphire questions.

I think for a moment, a bit thrown off by her question.

"None that I know of," I tell her.

"Okay," she says, "just tell us when and where and we will meet you there."

"Sounds like a plan."

We finish our meals, say our goodbyes, then go our separate ways. I get into CJ's car and head back in the direction of the outskirts. When I get there I walk up to Hope's place and she tells me that CJ went to a house down the street. As soon as I drive down there, CJ walks outside. I pull up and honk for him to get in. I have the biggest smile on my face as we begin to drive back into town.

"What's with the face?" he asks me.

"Sapphire and JP agreed!" I exclaim, "he is going to switch places with me."

He does not respond as he gets his thinking face on. What is he thinking?

"You okay CJ?" I question, "you do not seem as happy as I thought you would be."

"Not really," he finally answers.

"What is wrong?"

"I don't think we should go through with this."

"Why?"

He hesitates then looks me directly in the eyes.

"I could forget all about you, Ruby," He tells me.

"What are you talking about?" I question.

"One of the side effects. Everyone forgets everything about one of the participants."

"How do you know that? Who did you see in that house."

"My uncle."

"You told me that you did not have any family other than AJ."

"I didn't think I did," he responds, "there has to be another way to be together. I can't lose you."

"The only other way is if we get every Gem to accept what is going on in our lives," I tell him.

The rest of the car ride is in silence as we think about our options.

***

I walk inside my house after CJ dropped me off at around nine at night. Spinel is sitting on the couch. He gets up and walks towards me.

"Can we talk?" He asks.

"About what?" I question.

"About you and this Silver!"

"Can we not do this now, Spinel? I had a long day. I am tired."

"We are doing this now, Ruby! You have not been think of yourself lately!"

"I am doing this thing called 'thinking about others.' You should try it sometime."

"This is not funny, Ruby!" he yells, "your actions are rubbing off on Sapphire!"

"What do you mean it is rubbing off on Sapphire?"

"She has not been swooning over me when I see her! She has changed! She is seeing a Silver now!"

"Oh, so since she is not all over you it is my fault?"

"Yes! What do you not get about that?!"

"News flash, Spinel! The world doesn't revolve around you!"

He stares at me in shock. Guess the truth does hurt.

"What did you just say?" he asks.

"The. World. Doesn't. Revolve. Around. You," I repeat slowly.

"It is does not, Ruby."

"What'd I say?"

I gasp when I hear it. I used a contraction. No Gem has ever used a contraction. Am I changing on my own? Am I just inching away from my life as a Gem?

"You are a disgrace to the Gem culture," he tells me, "how can you even call yourself one?"

"You're selfish and self centered, Spinel," I retaliate, "how can you call yourself human?"

We glare at each other for what feels like eternity. Then he simply grunts and walks away. How was I going to show him that Silvers aren't bad? That CJ isn't bad.

***

I walk into my house to see Spinel sulking on the couch.

"I need to apologize," he tells me as soon as I close the door.

I am taken aback. Never in my life has he ever apologized for anything. He always thinks he's right and everyone else is wrong, about everything.

"For?" I ask, trying to hide my shock.

"I should trust you," he says, "and CJ."

I don't hide the shock. He then sighs and continues.

"He gave me no reason not to trust him. The only reason I had was that he was a Silver, but that is not good enough."

"There's the legend you believe so much," I state.

"You mean the legend that was probably created my Gems in order to keep Gems and Silvers apart because Gems do not think Silvers are good enough?" he asks, sarcastically, "I am pretty sure we do not have to worry about that."

"Are you saying what I think you're saying?"

"I want to give CJ a chance."

"Really? Why the sudden change of heart?"

"Because, according to you, everyone deserves a chance."

We hug and laugh.

"Thank you Spinel!" I shout.

"Anytime, Ruby," I say, "now, when are we going to have this little meet and greet?"

"Tomorrow?"

"Works for me."