Chapter 9

CJ

"Who?" I ask Ruby.

"Sapphire met this Silver she really likes and does not know what to do," she explains, "I am going to go talk to them and see if they will want to do this."

"Okay. Good luck."

I hand her my car keys and tell her to pick me up in an hour or sooner if she convinces them. Once she's gone, the air in the room became more serious as I turn back to Hope.

"What are the consequences of her doing this?" I ask.

"There are many, but there are three common ones," Hope answers, "first of all, she will not look the same. Which is obvious. Second, she will think and act differently. Which is expected due to Gems and Silvers thinking differently and having a different way of life. Third, there is a possibility of memory loss."

"But temporary right? Like amnesia?"

"I'm sorry, CJ, but, if Ruby goes through with this and loses her memory, it will be permanent."

"And for the Silver?"

"The same consequences apply."

"How did my father not deal with the consequences?" I question.

"He only had to deal with one," Hope responds, "he did not look the same. He he was able to escape thinking and acting differently is beyond me. I'm especially surprised he escaped the memory loss. That is the most common side effect."

"How many times has this been done?"

"More than you realize."

I sit in silence as I think about all of the people I know. Gems and Silvers. They may not have been born that way.

"Do you remember who my father traded spots with?" I ask.

"Yes," Hope answers, "it was your mother's brother. He fell in love with a Gem; however, she didn't feel the same way. He might know why they were able to escape the memory loss."

"My mother had a brother?"

"Yes. He lives out here. Down the street. In building 5A."

"Thank you, Hope."

We say our goodbyes and I exit their home. I take a deep breath and walk in the direction of my uncle's building. I get to the front door and take a deep breath. Once I calm my nerves, I slowly knock on the door. It creaks open and, after a moment, I cautiously walk in.

"Hello?" I call out.

The next thing I knew, I hear footsteps coming from behind. I quickly turn and am greeted by a dagger at the throat.

"Hi," I say with caution as a man with green hair and matching eyes stares at me in confusion, "my name is CJ. I'm the son of SJ."

"SJ? CJ?" he asks, "my sister named you CJ?"

I slowly nod as his confused look disappears and he lowers his dagger.

"My name was CJ," he tells me.

"What is it now?" I question.

"Just Green. I'm surprised she remembered that name."

"What are you talking about?"

"Nevermind."

He then steps aside and allows me to enter. We sit down at the table in the center of the room as I think of a way to word my questions.

"How's your mother?" he asks.

"She past a few years ago due to the illness that spread through the town," I answer.

"I'm sorry to hear that. And your father?"

"Same fate as my mother."

Silence fills the room again. This is the most awkward family reunion ever. Then again, I've never actually been to a family reunion.

"So, I'm facing the same thing you, my mother, and father went through all of those years ago," I finally say.

"Don't do it unless you are prepared to deal with the consequences," he tells me.

"How were you and my father able to avoid the consequences?"

"We didn't."

"But Hope said-"

"She doesn't know the whole truth."

"What's the whole truth then?" I ask.

"The memory loss has nothing to do with the participants' memories but it erases everyone's memories of one of the participants," he explains, "I was the one no one remembered."

"What happened after that?"

"No one knew who I was. It ruined my life. That's why I came here. So I wouldn't be constantly reminded."

"You could always come back home. AJ and I would love to have you."

"AJ?"

"My sister."

He doesn't answer right away as he looks to the floor.

"Maybe someday," he finally tells me, "but no day soon. I need to find my place in the world again."

"Thanks Uncle Green," I say as I stand up, "it was great getting to meet you."

"You too."

I head to the door and back out into the old air. As if on cue, Ruby pulls up and honks for me to get in. She has the biggest smile on her face as we begin to drive back into town.

"What's with the face?" I ask her.

"Sapphire and JP agreed!" she exclaims, "he is going to switch places with me."

I don't respond as I think back to the conversation I just had. Is this really worth it? Would I take the risk of losing all of my memories of Ruby? Would I really risk everyone forgetting JP?

"You okay CJ?" Ruby questions, "you do not seem as happy as I thought you would be."

How was I going to talk her out of this? I sigh. This isn't going to be easy.