Chapter 7

CJ

I get home after walking Ruby home. I'm worried about how they are acting around one another right now. I'm scared that Ruby and I are going to have to run away like that couple in the Gem's legend.

I sigh and open the door then gasp. I don't believe what I'm seeing. AJ and JJ are on the couch, watching a movie, but that wasn't all. JJ had his arm around her.

"What's going on?" I ask.

They jump up faster than a rabbit as JJ retracts his hand from AJ's shoulder. I can't help but smile and laugh.

"Oh, uh, hey CJ," JJ says.

"We weren't doing anything," AJ rapidly explains.

"It looks like you two were on a little date," I tease.

They both blush and look away. I can't help but laugh again.

"Okay, well don't mind me," I say through my laugh, "I'll be upstairs."

"What happened to your eye!" AJ yells.

"Oh," I remember, "I got into a little...disagreement with Spinel."

"Is everything okay?" JJ asks, concerned.

"I hope so," I tell the two sitting on the couch.

***

It's the next morning. Sunday. No work today. I slowly get out of bed and yawn then make my way downstair. As I pass by AJ's room, I peek in to see her still sound asleep. I smile as I continue my way downstairs. I quietly make a bowl of cereal and eat it as I text Ruby.

Me: Can't wait to see you tonight.

Ruby: Me too. Think we can meet up a bit earlier at the park? I have to ask you something.

Me: Of course. Is it bad?

Ruby: Not at all. I will see you in an hour.

***

I sit on the bench Ruby and I usually meet at and wait for her arrival. About fifteen minutes pass and I see her walking up with an old looking book tucked under her arm.

"Hey Ruby," I say then kiss her on the cheek.

"Hi CJ," she replies then we sit on the bench.

"What's with the book?"

She smiles and hands it to me without saying a word. After I read the first couple of pages, a gasp escapes me.

"You want to become a Silver?" I question as I watch her nod, "why?"

"There is not any other way, CJ," she answers, "we are never going to be able to be together if we are so different."

"You don't need to change to be with me."

"Other people will not let us."

"Who cares about other people? You're perfect. You don't need to become a Silver."

She stares into my eyes as I look back into hers.

"Why do you look so scared?" she asks, "do you know something about this?"

I'm silent as I continue looking into her beautiful, red eyes. I can't lose those. But could I tell her the truth?

"I do," I finally tell her.

"What?" she asks.

"Not much. Just that it's extremely painful for a Gem to become a Silver. Their genes completely change and so does the way they think. They might not be the same person after."

"How do you know so much about this?"

"Because...because I knew you would look into it and I needed to know enough about it before I had an opinion on it."

"And your opinion?"

"I can't let you do this," I tell Ruby, "plus, you need a sorcerer or sorceress' help. There aren't any left."

"If I found a magical being, would you reconsider?" she asks.

"Not if it will change you."

"Then let us find a magician and find out."

"They aren't magicians."

"Whatever. Let us find one."

"There aren't anymore," I tell her.

"Let us try," she says.

No matter how much I tell her about what I know, she won't listen. This is insane. I can't hide it forever. She needs to know.

"Ruby," I sigh, "there's a certain reason I know so much about this."

"And what is that?" she questions.

"My father was a Gem."

Her eyes widen in shock as she stares at me. I knew I should have told her sooner; however, I haven't told anyone. I just found out right after I started seeing Ruby. I found his journal when I started packing up their stuff and saw his journal entry about changing. My mother used to tell me that she fell in love with him even more after he changed his life for her. I always thought it was because their families didn't get along. Not because they were two different people.

"Did he say it was painful?" she asks.

"Uh, no" I tell her, "I didn't find out until a few months ago."

"And you did not bother to tell me?"

"I haven't told anyone, Ruby. Not even AJ. I didn't think it would be this important. My parents certainly didn't because they didn't tell me or AJ."

"Does that make you and AJ magical?"

"No. He turned before we were born."

She goes silent as she stares at the ground.

"I want to turn CJ," she finally says, "I do not want anything to stop me from being with you. I need to do this."

"Ok," I sigh, "let's find a sorceror."

"Or sorceress."

We share a long look then make our way to my car. When we are ready, I start my car and head for the outskirts of town. Where the outcasts and forgotten live.