Unrequited Feelings

"You broke up with him. That is the most idiotic thing you could have done. I know that Angelina kissed him but I also know that he didn't kiss her, that he's feeling guilty right now for something that he had no control over. We all know that you both bloody fancy each other, so tell me right now why in Merlin's name did you let him go?" George says this all very quickly but somewhat calmly. I look down, letting my hair hang over my face, hiding the tears that have betrayed me and spill over my cheeks. I sigh and shake my head.

"It looked really bad, George." I whisper, my voice cracking. "You wouldn't understand. I'm just hurting really badly and-"

Suddenly the dorm door opens before George has a chance to reply, and Fred steps into the room.

"I can't find her any-" He stops speaking as he catches sight of me sitting next to George on his bed and raises an eyebrow. "I was worried when you ran out." Fred adds quietly.

"I was in the kitchens with Silv." I say awkwardly.

"I should have known." He nods. "Listen Ness, I'm so incredibly sorry. Everything happened so fast."

I nod. "I just need some time to think things over." I say quietly, before getting to my feet. Fred steps out of the way of the door and I leave the boy's dorm as quickly as possible. I don't know what to think anymore and I'm in dire need of a nap.

"Hey, Nessa!" A familiar voice calls as I reach the common room.

"What, Lee?" I ask impatiently, turning to find the boy watching me curiously. I don't have the energy to deal with this.

"I heard about what happened with Fred. I just wanted to tell you that I'm sorry. I'm sorry that happened to you, and I'm sorry about the mess I made with Lani." He says, looking down in apparent guilt.

"Thanks, I guess." I shrug tiredly. "You really need to sort things out with Lani though."

"I will, or at least I'll try." Lee says. "Are you okay? You look like you're about to cry."

I just shake my head in response. Of course I'm not okay, who would be? A tear rolls down my cheek and before I can wipe it away and pretend it didn't betray me, Lee's on his feet and has pulled me into a hug.

"I'm so sorry." He whispers. "I should have been there for you."

I know I should be suspicious but at this point I just want so desperately for things to be the way they were last year, when we were all getting along. I pull back from the hug a bit, and Lee looks up.

"I'm sorry, I know it's weird." Lee says quietly. "But listen, if Fred can't see you for how beautiful and intelligent you are and goes off snogging someone else, that's his loss. Vanessa, I have liked you since our second year, and I could treat you so much better than he does."

"What?" I ask incredulously, taking another step back. Lee fancies me? It's like my brain stops working and it takes me an eternity to connect the dots. "So when you told Lani that you liked someone else, you meant me?"

Lee nods slowly, gauging my reaction. "It's always been you, Nessa." He says, and he looks sincere.

Suddenly, he's getting closer and I freeze. Move, move! My body can't react in time. Lee's lips barely brush against mine when...