Cheering Charms and Gravy Mishaps

We appear outside the burrow, in a field of tall grass. It takes all my strength not to collapse, the pain of leaving my parents behind burns into my mind and heart, leeching all hope out of my body. I drag my feet across the damp earth as we walk towards the Weasley's home. Sylvia knocks on the large door, and within seconds, Ginny Weasley is at the door, helping us into the house. The moment the door closes behind us, I fall to the floor, no longer having the strength to hold myself up. Tears roll silently down my cheeks.

"It's okay, Vanessa." Sylvia tries to comfort me, though there are tears rolling down her cheeks as well.

"Mum!" Ginny calls as she rushes up the stairs, worry weaving itself into her voice and expression.

Sylvia pulls me into a hug, and I'm glad I still have her with me, memory intact.

"Oh dear," Molly Weasley says, appearing at the bottom of the staircase with Ginny at her side.

"I'm okay." I almost whisper, my voice cracking as I desperately attempt to pull myself together.

"No, dear, you aren't. You shouldn't have had to be the one to do it." Mrs. Weasley says, placing a hand on my back in an attempt to comfort me.

"No, I'm glad it was me. I got to say goodbye." I say. I manage to stop crying, and Mrs. Weasley flicks her wand, making my tears evaporate, and erasing the evidence of their existence. I suppose she places a cheering charm on me as well, because the heaviness in my chest slowly fades away, and I feel as though a heavy weight has been lifted off of my shoulders.

The pain of leaving my parents behind still lingers within me, but I have to be strong. I can just pretend that I'm on vacation. I'm not here so that we can be moved to a safe house, I'm simply here visiting my friends the Weasleys.

"Thank you." I whisper, now feeling embarrassed to have broken down in front of Mrs. Weasley, who is as tough as they come.

"No need to thank me, dear." Molly smiles kindly as she helps me up. "Now, I've had Ron haul your luggage up to Ginny's room, where the two of you will be staying for the night. Is there anything you dears need?"

I shake my head, wrapping an arm around Sylvia's shoulders. "Do you need help with anything around the house? I would be happy to help, I may need something to do to take my mind off things anyway." I offer after a moment of thought.

Mrs. Weasley thinks for a moment, obviously hesitant. "I've already had the boys do the work around the house, but I suppose you could help with dinner, if you'd like." She says after a while.

"I'd love to help." I smile.

"Alright then, Sylvia, you are welcome to wander around, and do whatever you'd like to." Molly says, turning to Sylvia, who nods and walks over to Ginny. "Now, dear, have you ever cooked magically?"

"No." I admit sheepishly.

"Well, you won't have any chance of marrying Fred if you can't cook. Come on, dear. I'll teach you." Mrs. Weasley smiles, patting my back and leading me into the crammed kitchen. I can just feel my face turning scarlet.

Mrs. Weasley spends the next half hour teaching me a simple spell that makes gravy pour out of the end of your wand. It's interesting, I've never been taught anything like this, having been raised by muggles.

When it comes time to eat, Mrs. Weasley holds her wand to her throat and calls "Dinner!". Her voice echoes throughout the house, and within seconds, it sounds like a stampede is taking place on the stairs.

Soon, everyone is sitting around the table, and Mrs. Weasley sends me around to each person, pouring gravy over their mashed potatoes. When I've almost finished, though, I get to Fred's spot, and look down to find him winking at me. This distracts me just long enough to lose concentration on the aim of my wand. The gravy hits the table, and sprays back up into his face.

"What in the name of- I'm not the potatoes, Nessa." Fred teases, hiding a laugh as gravy drips onto his clothes.

"You distracted me?" I say as if it's a question. I feel awkward, knowing the entire Weasley family and my sister is watching.

"So it's my fault then? Well, I formally apologize." Fred smirks, standing and walking towards me, dripping with gravy. "Let me give you a hug."

"No thank you!" I say, laughing and backing away. I hold my hands in front of my face to protect myself. "All is forgiven."

"I insist." Fred laughs, pushing my hands down. He wraps his arms around me and gets gravy all over me in the process. I can't help but laugh and hug him back.

"You have a habit of pouring gravy on me, Nessa." He says trying to talk over me as I laugh.

"In my defense..." My thoughts suddenly go fuzzy and I can't get any more words out. Fred just stares at me with a grin. "gravy suits you." I can't help but laugh at my pathetic conclusion.

"You're mental." Fred insists, though he's laughing ad well. "But that's why I love you."

I suddenly fall silent. Fred has never said anything even remotely close to 'I love you' before.

"You know, mum, I don't think it matters if she can cook." Ginny's voice breaks through the silence, reminding us that we have an audience.

I laugh nervously, and take my seat, trying to move on from the moment but also replaying Fred's words in my mind. It's a bit awkward going forward, though, because of Molly's choice of topic.

I've just taken a sip of water when she asks, "So, how many children do you want dear?" and I choke, making George and Ginny burst into a fit of laughter.

"How about we save that topic for a later time." Fred suggests, patting me on the back, though he's grinning.