The Great Escape

(AN) Isn't the song just perfect? I love it when I can find one that just fits perfectly with the chapter. Anyway, there's just two more chapters until the end of the book! So exciting! If you like this chapter make sure to leave a vote and a comment if you feel like it. :)

~

Walking around the castle with the red, white, and blue stars and stripes portrayed on my hair has turned out to be the least of my problems over the course of the week. With the end of the school year rapidly approaching, the N.E.W.T.s are just around the corner and every professor is laying the homework on thick. Once again drowning in work, I've come to realize that I haven't given more than a moments thought to what I want to do with the rest of my life after I leave school. There isn't really a magical career that calls out to me, although with Voldemort gaining power again who knows how long my future may really be?

Pushing those thoughts away, I try my best to focus on the practice exam in front of me. History of Magic has always been my worst subject, and although it's probably because of Professor Bin's droning voice, I know that I will most likely fail the History of Magic N.E.W.T. anyway. I'm not even sure how I passed the O.W.L. for the class. I curse under my breath in frustration at my inability to answer a stupid question about the 'great' goblin war of 1765, only to be hit in the back of the head with a book by Snape.

"Watch your mouth." He sneers.

"Why are you stalking the Gryffindor table anyway, Nosferatu?" I mutter under my breath, crumpling the practice test into a ball. Luckily, Snape doesn't hear this. Actually, he may not have understood that particular reference even if he had heard.

I push myself to my feet and walk out of the Great Hall that's currently acting as the study hall for students preparing for exams. I envy the first years I encounter on my way back to Gryffindor tower, so carefree and happy, just enjoying a stroll through the castle on a sunny day and giggling at each other.

"Lovely day isn't it, dearie?" The Fat Lady asks smilingly.

"It is, I just wish I could enjoy it." I sigh, making an attempt to be nice to the Fat Lady instead of brushing her off as I have done in the past.

"You poor thing." She nods. "Password?"

"Gigglewater." I say, my mouth curling into a half smile.

Her portrait swings aside and I crawl through the hole in the wall and into the common room.

"Nessa!" Fred calls my name excitedly as soon as he sees me enter the room, walking over to wrap an arm around my waist. "Nessa, we've perfected the Fever Fudge and the Fainting Fancies!"

"No more boils in unwanted places?" I smirk, raising an eyebrow. Fred shudders.

"No more boils period." He corrects, an expression of disgust still present on his features.

"Good." I laugh, winking at Fred.

"Anyway, we've snuck some food from the kitchens to celebrate."

"Oh, great. I'm starving." I sigh.

~

"This is mental." Fred mutters, watching couples making their Valentine's day plans in the common. "Its never been so bloody crowded in here."