21

I was going to die.

I had no water, and no food, and to make matters worse—it was beginning to get dark out. I didn't even have a hint of where town was, and now I was probably lost. I licked my dry lips, before I stopped, taking a seat on the road. Maybe I could just lay down here, fall asleep, and never wake up. I quickly dismissed the thought, my mind straying towards Paisley. I had to find her before anything happened to her. As for Max, I didn't care what happened to him. Hopefully he just went back to the house.

How stupid was I, to fall in love with the kidnappers son? I blinked, clutching my head in my hands before getting to my feet again. If I wanted this nightmare to be over, I would need to end it myself. I began walking again, when headlights bounced down the road. My heart began beating quickly, the pace quickening as the car came to a slow stop.

It was a silver car, with tinted windows, a hideous dent right in the side of it. The passenger window slowly slid down letting out a shrill squeak.

"Hey, do you need some help?" A lady called sticking her head out the window. Her brown eyes calmed me as I took a hesitant step forward. I probably reeked, not having the luxury of deodorant, and my hair was probably a mess.

I licked my chapped lips again, before nodding slowly. I couldn't see the driver in the car, which sent me into fear once more. Was it someone that the family knew and they were coming to check on us?

"What's your name sweetie?" The lady asked, the sound of the doors unlocking disturbing the quiet night.

I took a deep breath. Should I tell her the truth? What if she was another family member and I would wind up dead. I didn't care anymore.

"S-Summer." I croaked out taking a hesitant step towards the vehicle. The woman's eyes widened as she flung the door open, hopping out. I braced myself for the worst. This was it. This was how I was going to die.

"Summer as in, the missing girl from the news?" She practically screamed, her hand latching onto my shoulder, drawing me closer. I hesitantly nodded, cringing at her touch. I looked up at her as she ran a hand through her curly hair.

"Holy—ok, get in. We can take you to the police station. Do you know where those other two girls are?" She asked opening the backseat door, and gently pushing me in. I nodded again, my heart beginning to pound furiously again.

"Where are they?" She asked quickly sliding back into the front seat, whirling around to face me.

"P-Paisley is in the hospital, and Nicole is d-dead." I croaked out, glancing at the driver nervously. He watched me closely, his eyes searching my face.

"Henry, we need to get to the police station! Turn around and let's go!" She ordered turning to the driver.

"But, Grace its 10:48 already! I'm tired, and I'm going to miss the rest of the game! Can't we wait until the morning?!" He questioned frantically tapping the wheel. I wanted to scream at him, tell him to hit the gas, but I remained quiet, waiting for the woman's response.

She shook her head, giving him an eye roll. "No, we're going to the police station. Now, turn around and drive or I'll do it myself." She demanded, raising an eyebrow.

"Fine." He mumbled before swerving the car around, and pressing the gas. Talk about pedal to the metal.

"Just lean back and close your eyes, you're safe now." Grace calmly said.

And so I did.

--
1 hour later

"Summer, wake up! We're here." Grace said gently shaking my shoulder. I jolted awake, afraid I would be back at the house but instead, the cozy light of the police station sat in front of us. I quickly leapt out of the car, giving Grace a smile.

"Thank you so much." I whispered before bolting into the police station. The receptionist lazily typed, a fan overhead stirring the thick air.

"E-excuse me?" I asked approaching the desk.

"Yes, how may I help you?" She looked up boredly, taking in my appearance. Recognition bounced in her eyes, before she stood up abruptly.

"Are you Summer Davidson?" She whispered leaning closer. I nodded, glad she realized who I was. I watched her for a moment while she stood still almost as if she was in disbelief.

"I-I need help. Nicole's body is on the side of a road, it needs to be taken. She's dead, I need her body to be taken care of. And then Paisley is in the hospital with the man and the woman. I-I need someone to save her before she's taken back to the house." I stated before sinking into a chair. The lady hustled off, and I leaned my head back against the wall.

Five minutes later, a trail of officers left and the receptionist walked back out.

"We have some clean clothes for you back here. Follow me and you can get cleaned up. Your parents have also been contacted, they're on their way here." She calmly came over and grabbed my shoulder, leading me farther into the building before stopping in front of a small room.

"This is the bathroom, just come back up front and then I'll show you to where we keep some cots. You can sleep on them until your parents get here. I'll keep you updated on Paisley, and Nicole's body." She calmly told me, before she left me by myself. I stepped into the bathroom and locked the door, staring into the mirror. Blood was on my shirt, and my face looked worn down. I stepped towards the tiny shower and turned the water on the hottest setting before stepping in,abandoning my dirty clothes on the floor.

Finally.
I was safe.
--
*THIS IS AN UNEDITED CHAPTER*
Here's the next update :)
i finished it faster than i thought it would so here's a double update for y'all! there's only 1 more chapter left in this book :(

i'm so upset but it's been fun writing this book. make sure to keep an eye out for my next book that's in the process of being written right now!

thoughts about this chapter??

how bout max??

if anyone has any tips do what i could change such as grammar or mistakes, please tell me! just don't be rude about it.

until next time , have an amazing day :)

XXX
maegan