Chapter 29.

Chapter 29. (Pic is Balam warrior)

"You're not going to believe the New York Coven," Hawk said, shaking his head. "It isn't like anything I ever expected. I heard they were liberal, but I had no idea."

Emil stood, holding his hand out to Evan, who followed suit. Arazel slouched back and crossed his arms over his chest. "My father always hated this coven. He said they were a disgrace to vampire-kind. He would never admit it, but they frightened him. He wanted to amass an army to take them over eventually. Finally, I get to meet the only beings able to strike an iota of fear into him."

The hybrid leaped up from the bench, not bothering to hide his unnatural speed. It drew the attention of a panhandler rattling a can nearby. Arazel sent an evil leer his way, causing the gnarled old man to hurry away.

"Knock it off, Raz," Evan said, as she smacked his shoulder.

"Raz?" he asked disdainfully.

"Yeah, you like to razz everyone, so it fits. Deal with it," she said, not backing down when he sent her a similar glare. "Really? These three would drop you so fast you wouldn't even know what hit you."

"Enough," Emil said quietly, commanding the attention of all. "Let's go meet the most liberal coven out there. Maybe they will help us?"

Arazel grinned at the chastisement, while Evan looked contrite.

He continued, looking at Jean, who had remained silent and pensive since returning. "Lead the way."

Jean nodded and turned. He reached out and slid an arm around Hawk, pulling the mowhawked male with him. The pair drew attention, many of the glances that of appreciation. Evan had to admit she was in the company of some of the most attractive males she had ever seen.

"We had better get off the streets. I'm worried some horny chicks are gonna try and take advantage of you all. Or some horny guy, for that matter," she said, claiming her man.

The two males leading the way out of the park stepped away from one another momentarily, then Hawk reached out and shoved Jean playfully, while reaching to pull him back closer. Arazel walked between the couples, scowling.

It was a short walk down Fifth Avenue to the hotel the New York Coven operated out of. It was a trendy, upscale location with a thriving nightlife. Stopping briefly out front, Jean and Hawk allowed the others in the group to take in the flashing neon and oddly classic architecture of the entrance. Looking around, humans and vampires alike were moving through the front doors, seeming as if there were nothing unusual about it. Vampires and humans together. Evan looked to Emil with raised brow.

"Do you think they know they are talking to our kind?" she asked, indicating a couple of humans leaning against a huge planter in front of the high rise. They were deep in conversation with a pair of vampires, doing little to disguise what they were, fangs slipping out with a smile now and then.

The Midwestern group watched a moment longer, and Evan let out a little gasp when the very obviously human flashed a wide smile, revealing fangs as well. Her thoughts went to her daughter immediately.

Emil pulled her close and whispered in her ear, "They are not like Grace. They simply want to be us. Do not be troubled."

Evan was shaken, as she had done her best not to think of Michael Grace, not wanting to put out a mental thread for the Ancient One to grasp in attempts to track them down. Now she could not get her mind off their daughter, wondering what she looked like now. She had been growing at an alarming rate when they separated.

Mistaking her stricken look, Emil prodded her. "You would begrudge them? Look at what you've become, you sexy thing."

Trying to close her mind to thoughts of their daughter, she smiled feebly. "I wasn't thinking that, I just...I just thought..." her voice failed her.