Chapter 22.

Chapter 22.

Staring out over the verdant expanse before him, Xavier tried to recall the last time he had been on the Yucatan Peninsula. He had had two toddlers with him, a wet nurse and little patience. This time it was not much different. He had one toddler, a teenager, a werecat who seemed to be having emotional problems, and worst of all, a rock and roll diva. Ever since they had landed in Cancun and left behind the tourist laden coastline, he had been plagued by no small amount of whining from the redhead. Most of it revolved around Aiden not being allowed to hang out in the many clubs offered, full of spoiled international travelers. He had thought there would be a night or two of game hunting before they set off into the jungle. Instead, he, Xavier and Nathan had quickly found a meal among the pickpockets and those who prey on the tourists, not the sport Aiden was used to. Xavier had not wanted to risk discovery, so had led them immediately from the more populated areas into the countryside.

The first journey he had taken so many decades ago nearly eluded him. He had been grieving the loss of Missy, and filled with the worry of keeping a toddler werecat under control. Beatrice had been an angel the entire trip, where her brother Marco did everything possible to keep everyone hopping. The little cat had bit him several times, drawing blood on the last couple of bites, causing Xavier to worry about the ill effects of vampire blood on a shifter. He had not found anything on it in the tome Missy had bequeathed him after her death. For all the information it held, there was very little on the effects of mixing species. Despite caring for them, he was relieved to hand them over to their father's people, along with the wet nurse.

So far, this time he was impressed with Nathan and Grace. The little girl had cried for her mother and daddy the first few days, but had settled into the routine quickly. Nathan did everything he could to comfort her. Xavier had watched the young vampire ward off his own sadness by putting all his energy into making sure Grace had everything she needed. The twins had not known their mother well, however, Beatrice had seemed aware of her. The vampire children were much different, likely having to do with their comparative independence.

In the rural areas among the native people, it soon became apparent their group attracted too much attention. Marie did her best by becoming like the locals. Xavier was astonished at how rapidly the vibrant twenty-something metropolitan woman took on the customs and language of her native homeland. She smoothed over nervous villagers when they had arrived unannounced, asking for food for her and Grace. Xavier and Aiden had stayed at the periphery of the settlement, not wanting to let on what they were. They had sensed an unease flow through the people who were in the village center when they arrived. At home in Saint Louis, Xavier could walk among the living with barely a glance from the self-absorbed people in his hometown, who were so preoccupied with themselves, technology and progress, a deadly predator could breathe down their neck for minutes before they would even flinch. It seemed these quaint folk with less distraction were more attuned to nature and the supernatural. All the locals they had met with outside the larger tourist areas had looked upon them with well-deserved suspicion.

Marie had talked them into food and more traditional clothing for herself, Grace and Nathan. Xavier and Aiden had dressed for a mission in cargo pants, long-sleeved shirts with utility vests on top, which may be partly responsible for the distrustful glances they received. After this encounter, Xavier had decided it would be best if they traveled at night, and kept to the forest during the day, only stopping when absolutely necessary for supplies.

The trek inland was made primarily on foot, stopping to allow Marie and Grace to sleep. Xavier remembered how difficult it had been to find the settlement of the jaguar people so long before when he had brought Marco and Beatrice to the mountain jungles. The people had actually found him. He was hoping the same would happen this time, as he was not in the mood to hunt down an elusive werecat. From what Marie had told him, Marco had taken to wandering the hillsides alone, so it might not be too much to hope for.