Chapter 12.

Thanks for reading, comments always enjoyed.

Chapter 12.

Since the night Michael Grace was born, three months had passed. As Xavier looked out over the night skyline of Saint Louis, he contemplated the last several weeks. He was unsettled about the recent events, not the least of which was Marie's health. She had been in a state of catatonia since going to bed that night, and had only survived because of Hannah's ministrations. She had rejected any help from Xavier, screaming in terror with eyes focused on the specters which haunted her mind, eyes which would occasionally flash the cat's eye green she had shown him when they first met. It hurt him in a way he could not explain. He owed her nothing, did not know her any more really than the stranger he had killed that night for nourishment. However, something drew him to her, whether it was her utter vulnerability, or some vague familiarity; he could not place it. In the back of his mind was an irritating undercurrent of thoughts of her, some very philanthropic, others very carnal. Trying to silence the murmur, he kept as busy as Emil would allow.

Standing at the railing of the rooftop garden, he remembered the night they met, as if it had just happened. Marie had screamed uncontrollably when he returned her room to check on her, and he had fled, sure he was adding to her distress, begging the others to help. Ironically, Hannah had been held captive by the same brutes, only she had full recollection of what Romley and his sadistic lackeys had done to her. She had been able to identify with the young woman, reassuring Xavier and Emil the distress would pass. For an immortal, he was having a hard time being patient. He had watched as Hannah hand fed the woman, who only stared into space when awake and moved about mechanically with complete dependency on others. She did not say a word, and began having accidents until Hannah picked up on the fact Marie's heart rate would increase when she needed to use the bathroom. He was mortified, embarrassed for her. Hannah had suggested he leave her be, and promised to get him if she seemed more responsive. How long could a human survive like this?

Turning when he heard Evan call, he walked at a human pace down the metal staircase from the rooftop garden and let himself into their apartment loft. Emil and Evan's apartment had become mission central, for lack of another place to gather, since the Enclave had burnt down. She did not mind, and Emil was happy to have her close and protected.

"Did you need something, Milady?" Xavier asked, keeping in mind her revered station as Emil's wife and the dear friend she was becoming.

"Would you mind watching Grace for me? Emil is busy with Nathan, Jean and Hawk have disappeared for some one-on-one time, and I was hoping to get some things together for Marie. She has ruined many of her clothes, and I thought it would be nice to have something new. She might still comprehend it somewhere inside that mind of hers."

He was so glad Evan was a doctor. She seemed to have become an invaluable asset to their team, with her skills as an empath, as well as her knowledge of modern medicine. He was also pleased she had agreed on his nickname for the girl, as Grace seemed a much more appropriate name for the lovely little girl.

"Of course I will watch the little princess. I cannot think of anything I would rather do," he replied honestly. Reaching out to the wee one, he could not get over how much she had changed. It was obvious she was not growing like a human baby. She was three months old, but was nearly the same size as a human toddler. She still preferred to speak with her mind, but was already practicing her words.

"Hi, Zhavi," she bubbled in her tiny voice. Her beautiful wise eyes held nothing but affection for her 'Uncle Zhavi'.

"Hi, yourself, Princess Grace," he replied, unable to suppress a smile as she hugged his neck tightly. Her warm little body warmed him instantly. It had become apparent early on she had some ability to manipulate energy, but as of yet they did not know how far the ability went. "What shall we do while your Mommy is out?" As an afterthought, he turned and said, "Wait, Evan, who is going with you? You're not going alone."