Chapter 13.

Chapter 13.

"Not a witch exactly, but something of the sort..." Xavier trailed off, considering Marie with an intense stare, which the tiny woman seemed to return unflinchingly. Hannah waited for more of an answer, but she was disappointed when he said nothing, just walked closer to Marie and slowly perused her face.

"I'm sorry, Xavier, I don't understand what you're talking about. Do you care to elaborate?" Hannah said, not wanting to sound impatient, but doing a poor job.

He glanced at her for the slightest moment. "I may know something about Marie's heritage Emil does not, but I must speak to him before I divulge any more. I'm sure you understand. As soon as we talk and are certain, I will let you know."

"If she is a shifter, I have a right to know! My life could be in danger!" Hannah exclaimed impatiently, startling Grace, who whimpered from her bouncy seat.

"If she were dangerous, cara mia, she would not have allowed herself to be victimized as she was, if she knew how to protect herself," he said patiently, grating even more on Hannah's nerves.

"I know those who mistreated her, or do you forget?" she replied defiantly. "They are strong enough, even a powerful shifter might not have a chance against them."

"Understood, Hannah, though I still do not think you have anything to worry about." His eyes were once again studying Marie's face intently.

"You can be in charge of her for now. I'm going to take Grace and hang out for a while. Do you know when Emil will be back?"

"He and Nathan will return any time, I'm sure. Why don't you take Grace to the nursery and try to put her to sleep? She could use a nap."

"That's what I was going to do anyway." Hannah hated feeling dismissed, as if she could not make a decision on her own. She had grown more and more irritable, though she could not quite place why. She did not mind keeping an eye on Grace, or Marie. It actually made her feel needed for the first time in her existence. After having been a plaything for Isaac Romley and his depraved minions for centuries after he created her, and having escaped on her own for a short time, Hannah felt good being part of a sane coven. She no longer feared for her safety. Scooping Grace from the brightly colored infant bouncer, she snuggled into the little one's warmth. They all commented frequently on how comforting the baby could be to snuggle with, as she did not lose heat when they held her in their frigid arms. "Let's go see Nathan, sweetie. Does that sound good?"

"Yes! He play song for me," Grace replied. Seeing actual words forming on the lips of a baby who was only a few months old still unsettled Hannah, maybe even a little more than when she spoke in perfect English when she spoke telepathically. Grace had already explained how she wanted to practice her spoken words more, even though she could easily speak with her mind to anyone she chose.

Hannah disappeared around the corner, her haughty posture not lost on Xavier as he watched her walk away. He let a small smirk cross his thin lips before turning back to Marie.

"Come, Marie, I think it is time I learn more about your past," he said softly to the woman whose eyes met him at chest level.

She glanced up to his face and nodded a single nod. He placed a hand at the small of her back and led her to the patio door, intending to go to the roof for some privacy. When he pulled the door open, she cringed back, wrinkling her nose. "Not there. He's up there."

Xavier lifted his head and scented the air, and faintly recognized Arazel's unique hybrid fragrance. "Fair enough. Would you like to go to my apartment? Or perhaps leave this building? You haven't been out of your apartment for months."