Chapter 37.

Marie was selfishly pleased to be placed in charge of Grace again. They had gone back to her room when Dane had retrieved the Guardians and all the newcomers except London. Instead, he had accompanied them and now stood guard outside her door. She was not sure how she felt about this new development. She knew it was not to keep her in, but it caused her cat to grow restless, as she was feeling a heightened sense of alarm running through the house.

Grace was cuddled in her lap, running her little fingers through the hair on the back of Marie's neck. As odd as it seemed, it was soothing to her. Since shifting, Marie had come to appreciate pats and strokes as reward more than she ever had when she thought she was human, but only from certain people. Grace was one of those. The little girl was tucked in tight around her with her silky hair brushing the underside of her chin and she was feeling drowsy, so she propped her feet up on the leather ottoman and decided on a nap. Soon enough she would find out where they would be on the run to next.

Just as she was drifting off to sleep, the door clicked and her eyes popped open, alert and ready to spring.

"It's okay, it's just me," came the reply in deep but soft tones as London crossed the room.

Marie straightened up a little in the chair, trying to stretch her spine under the weight of Grace, without waking her. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, everything's fine. I just wanted to see if you would mind telling me a bit about yourself, so I know what you're capable of should we have some trouble. I'm not feeling too good about this house. Something seems off."

She frowned at his words, unnerved to have her thoughts put into words, and considered his request for a minute. Nothing had seemed overtly wrong, but then again, nothing had seemed right, either. "What do you think is going to happen?"

"I can't say anything will happen tonight, but the energy is off here," he replied.

"Hm. I'm sure with everyone back together now, we'll be safe at least. What is it that you want to know about me?" she asked.

"Do you have any fighting skills?Obviously, you're a shifter, but that doesn't mean you're a fighter."

Marie thought back on the battle she had had with her Uncle not so many days ago. Her flank was still a little sore. "I can hold my own."

He scowled. "Have you been trained? I don't need some arrogant cat letting on that she can conquer the world and when all hell breaks loose, tucks tail and runs off."

Her cat took offense and her eyes flashed green yellow. "I fought the leader of the Balam clan and am still here to talk about it. I have been training in human form with Emil and Xavier and the others, so I think I can handle myself. Just know my first priority is Michael Grace. So if I have to shift, you have to take her and run. Leave me. I will do my best, but she is who is important. Save her."

London sat silently, appraising her with new eyes. After a few moments he nodded. "Agreed. If it comes down to it, I'll keep the little one safe."

Marie nodded back, feeling for the first time to have someone besides Xavier on her side. The others were there for her, but this was different. She felt like she had someone committed solely to helping her protect Michael Grace. Narrowing her eyes, she considered her next words carefully. "If you show me what you are, I'll show you my cat so you can get to know her. If you are really willing to help me protect Grace, then we need to have no secrets between us."

London puckered his lips, and leaned forward, resting his elbows on his widespread knees. He steepled his fingers and rested his chin on the tips. Marie did not think he was going to agree when suddenly in his place was a young boy, about seventeen.