Chapter 4 : Broken

"Ella" Louis says multiple times as he looks at her over and over again shaking her by her shoulders to get some kind of reaction back from her . She had  smudge tears that stained her pink cheeks. He places one hand under her legs and the other one at the nape of her neck picking her up the floor. Out of her hand falls out the small clear bag that is now empty with nothing inside.  He carries her and places her on top of his bed cover.

            " What's wrong?" he asks her but there is no answer back. Her skin is cold, and she is starting to shiver.

            "I'm going to go get you a glass of water" he remarks as he walks towards his small kitchen. Grabbing a glass from the cupboard and filling it with ice cold water his finger run through his hair pushing it back just like his thoughts. The clear plastic bag labeled in black ink sharpie "33+" catches his attention and water overflows from the glass cup.

             "Shit!" he says as he realizes to  bend down and pick it up crumpling it in his hand. He walks over to the bedroom and with a loud thump he places the cup of water on the night stand.  He brings his hand in front of her showing her the clear bag.

            "What the hell were you thinking? I leave you alone for a few minutes and you try to steal from me. I leave again expecting you to leave and I find your still here and now overdosing on God knows what?" he let the small bag fall freely out of his hand along with a deep breath he didn't even realize he was holding in from his sudden anger. His eyes are a mix of rage and pity. He looks up at the wall behind her "You know I used to be a lot like you. I still am, but I am trying to change Ella". He says pointing defensively at her like scolding a child almost.

            Her eyes are still some what lost in the person in front of her. She can hear him clearly but she prefers to not voice anything out. Her mind is running a million miles per hour at the same time.  Louis sits at the edge of the bed next to her while taking her hands in his saying " you could too" but she is so numbed she can't feel a thing. And she doesn't make an effort to move her hands out of his.

            Just like the same feeling she has been living in for the past few months. She shuts her eyes for a minute and a single tear falls out of the corner of her eye. His thumb slowly grazes across her skin as he wipes it off.

            "Drink this, it will make you feel a whole better we don't need your to dehydrate."             A small smiles breaks off his worried face and his eyes are deep blue with a hidden mischief behind it.

Ella's POV:

            My world is rushing by with blurry images that cross through my mind but my hearts feels nothing at all. There are too many scars deep inside that nothing seem to replace. It's dark inside and its a scary place to let someone else in as well. I have been kept in the dark ever since I was younger. I never had half of the opportunities the girls my age have had. Its hard when all the memories you have of your childhood are surrounded by dark memories that hunt you in your sleep.

I have spent most of life running away and I am tired of running.

            Always kept in the dark away from the life I want to call my own. I have had to live on antidepressants after all those nights of constant abuse while I saw my mother got beat down multiple times by the man that used to be my step dad. His drinking nights at the bars with his mates always brought the monster inside of him. If nothing was made to his perfection I would be the first one to blame, then my mom if she intervened.

            There was no escaping his rage until that night I couldn't stand it anymore. I remember running so hard the side of my ribs hurt so much in pain for at least four days later. I have never known true happiness except for the last two days, and to be honest I am more scared than ever. How can one stranger change everything?  At the end I am still just a broken girl with dreams to big stuck in cement.

                           ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

            "How are you feeling?" Louis asks.

            "What was all about last night huh? he continues as he tries to search for the truth in her eyes.

            "Fine, but I don't want to talk about it". I look down at my hands.

            "Don't you think you owe me at least that?" he insists.

            " We all have stories but we don't have to tell, you know" she says standing up in her feet.

            " And you should know you should really stop the bullshit then. I have my own too I used to be just like you taking pills after pills. But its not going to make a difference its just the same old cycle over and over again until you wake up, and you're dead one day. Is that what you want?" his words are harsh and cold.

            "No" Ella snarls at him with a low voiced no.

            "But how come you don't share yours then?" she remarks crossing her arms in front of her.

            "Because my story is not as half as interesting as yours" he winks at her knowing his sarcastic answer would piss her off.

            '"Prick!" she muttered under her breath as she rolled her eyes grabbing her original clothes to change in the bathroom.

            "I'll be leaving now. Thanks for the hospitality, Tomlinson" she says as she puts his clothes on the top of his bed cover.

            "Those are nicely folded. Maybe, you could stay and I can pay you to keep my flat clean" he says seriously as his finger traces  over his folded t-shirt. 

            "What? Do I look like a cleaning lady to you?" she cocked her eyebrow in disbelief.

            "No. But I know you won't have anywhere else to stay and I also know your not planning on getting any decent offer like the one you are getting right now. Who else is going to take a broken girl like you?"

            Ella swallowed her pride down as it hurt her to hear him say that last sentence, and it showed.

            "No offense. I just I... I want to help you" he offers with what seem like some sort of apology.

            "Fine but with one condition" she demanded.

            "Pfft Okay sounds fair" he lets a small laugh.

            "Promise me you won't fall in love with me?"

There was an awkward silence between the two for a second.

            "Um.. I am sure that is not going to be an issue.." he agrees as he brings out his hand for her to shake.