Chapter 2

After greeting everyone including my cousins, Aunts and Uncles, I was ready for the night to end. The house was alive with chatter and movement as everyone said hello to each other and caught up, while settling in and taking their coats off. I knew there would be a lot of questions about school and how college was going and I really didn't have much to say about it, except that it was going well.

As I was getting a glass of wine for Grandma, the doorbell rang again. I handed Grandma her drink as I headed over to the door. I opened it to see the cavalry had arrived. My best friends Andrea and Kayla stood there with smiles and presents in their hands.

"Hi!" We squealed delightedly, lunging towards each other for a hug.

Andrea and I have known each other since sixth grade when we were in the same homeroom. We were both pretty quiet but once we got to know each other we found out we both had a lot in common. We were best friends for three years when we met Kayla. It was freshman year and it was the first day of classes. I entered chorus class with the intent of sitting quietly in the back of the room. I loved singing but was terrified that since it was the first day the teacher would make us all sing in front of the class in order to separate us into parts. I already knew that I was a soprano but I was worried she might change her mind.

In the end, she did make us sing. It was simple, only a few bars of solfège but I knew that if I had to sing in front of my new classmates, I would freeze up and stutter out the words making it sound like I couldn't hold pitch. Which, I knew I could.

Kayla noticed my reluctance so she encouraged me by standing up with me and the teacher actually let her sing with me. Since then we have been close, sharing a love for music and going to concerts together.

When we graduated Kayla and I both went to URI while Andrea went to RIC. Seeing each other has gotten harder but we manage to keep in contact. Andrea is always a text away and Kayla lives on campus so I can visit after my classes.

"Michelle! I missed you so much. It's so weird not seeing each other every day isn't it?" Andrea pouted but her big, brown eyes twinkled with happiness.

Nodding I agreed, "I know. I wish we all went to the same college but you decided that you wanted to separate our trio and go to a different school."

"Hey," she pointed to me, "You were accepted to RIC too. You could have decided to be with me"

"And why would she want to do that when she gets to be with me?" Kayla grinned, boastfully.

"Shut up. You're not funny." Andrea elbowed Kayla causing her to scowl and rub her side.

Holding back a laugh I gestured them in, "Come on, and let's get inside before you start a cat fight on my front lawn. Mrs. Grant across the street wouldn't appreciate it. Especially because she takes in stray cats and if she hears you two fighting she'll come out hoping to take in two new cats. When she sees it's just you she'll be furious."

Andrea just shrugged what I said off, because really, what can you say about a crazy collecting cat lady that lives across the street?

"So Kayla, what are you doing here? I thought you said you were going over to your boyfriend's house for dinner?" I had talked to her a few days ago and she said that her boyfriend had invited her over to meet his parents.

Kayla grabbed my hand dragging me inside. She gave me a forced smile as she shrugged.

"Things changed." She said simply.

Frowning I could tell something happened, "What's wrong?"

"I found a text message on his phone from a girl that said, 'last night was great. Let's meet up again' and I texted her back, 'should I bring the condoms?' and she replied yes! The fucking asshole was cheating on me!" She whisper-shouted, looking furious and like she was about to cry.