Part 15

Stevie filed for divorce without hesitation. She was still shocked Kim backed down, realizing it was time for them to end their marriage and stop hurting each other. It worked as an idea, but it completely backfired once it became their reality. 

Once Stevie signed the documents, she felt incredibly relieved. It had only been days, but she was noticeably in a lot better mood and she even agreed to some studio time, when Lindsey brought it up. Everything that had been going on lately wasn't known to anyone, so when Stevie and Lindsey arrived together, it raised questions. Christine was the only one who knew that Stevie was taking steps towards separation from Kim, but she didn't know the majority of everything else. 

"I'm so sorry that once again I'm holding the recording of the album back." Stevie apologized, greeting the rest of Fleetwood Mac. 

"We know it's not without a good reason." Mick said, pressing a kiss to her cheek. "You're here now."

Christine was next to hug Stevie, giving her a look, as Stevie mouthed, later. However, Lindsey had a different plan.

"Uh, guys?" He attempted to catch the others' attention. "I'd like to address the obvious." His eyes sought out Stevie, silently asking her permission. He probably should have done that first, before opening his mouth. Much to his surprise, Stevie nodded, smiling a little. "Without getting into too much detail of recent events, I want you to be the first ones to hear it directly from us." Lindsey held out his hand for Stevie, who gladly took it and joined him, standing by his side. "Stevie filed for divorce and we're back together again, hopefully, for good this time." Lindsey kept it short, getting straight to the point. 

Their bandmates were clearly happy for them. It was no secret that nobody understood Stevie's reasoning for marrying Kim in the first place, however, they all kept it to themselves. Without even knowing that there had been physical and mental abuse towards Stevie, Mick and John were happy for her, as was Christine of course. She wasn't completely sure if Stevie was really going to leave Kim, knowing why she'd stayed for so long.

"What about Matthew?" Chris asked, seeing Stevie smile. The boy was currently with a babysitter.

"Kim and I had a talk. I don't know what happened, but he seems to have come to his senses. He made me promise that I'll let him be around Matthew and he won't fight for sole custody."

"Oh really?" Christine was surprised, glad nevertheless.  

"Really." Stevie nodded. "I couldn't believe it, but... I think, Kim understands it's for the best."

"I sure hope he does." Christine smiled, hugging Stevie around her shoulders. "I'm so happy for you, Stevie. Well, both of you." She added, glancing at Lindsey. "There are no other two people, who deserve to be together more than you do."

Not much work was done. The five, well four, since John being his usual self, mostly kept quiet, spend a good part of the day catching up. It had been a while, since things were going so smoothly in the studio. It had always been the same; if Stevie and Lindsey weren't fighting, no one was fighting and it was a welcome change. 

"So, maybe you've changed your mind about quitting the band?" Mick asked at some point. 

Lindsey shook his head, looking apologetically. "No, Mick. I'm done."

"But you and Stevie are good with each other again, that was the only problem, wasn't it?" Mick argued.

"Part of the problem. Listen, Mick, let's not get into that, okay? Actually..." Lindsey began, looking over at Stevie, who held his gaze, a pleading look in her eyes. "Nevermind."

"What? You can tell me. I hate to see you go, but we're still friends." Mick shrugged, patting Lindsey on the back for emphasis. 

"I know, just... honestly, forget it." Lindsey forced a smile, changing the subject. "Steph, why don't we pick up where we left off with your song. We've got to head back home soon."

Stevie obliged, going back into the booth, glancing at Mick, a confused expression across his face. She wasn't ready to tell him, she was leaving too.

No more than two hours later, Lindsey was driving them back home. Stevie hadn't said a word since they said goodbye to the band, resting her head against the window as they drove. 

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah." She sighed. "I'm just thinking about when it's my turn to tell Mick, I'm following you out of the band."

"Well, we're still a package deal, aren't we?" Lindsey tried lightening up the mood, seeing a glimpse of a smile on her lips. Taking her hand, he brought it up to his lips. "It's going to be fine, babe. You know it's for the best. Especially if we want to try and have a baby." Stevie stiffened, she didn't like talking about it, afraid that they'll somehow jinx it. "It's going to be fine." Lindsey repeated, a warm smile on his face.

They returned home shortly. Matthew was excited to see his mother back and Stevie enthusiasm matched his, picking him up, pressing a big kiss to his cheek. "Oh, I missed you so much!"

"Me too!" Matthew said, wrapping his arms around Stevie's neck.

Lindsey took out his wallet to pay the babysitter, but before he could do that, she handed him an envelope. "What's this?"

"I found it by the door, when Matthew and I went outside." She shrugged, impatiently waiting to be paid. 

Handing the money, Lindsey said goodbye and closed the door, once the sitter was out. 

"What's that?" Stevie now asked him. 

Lindsey opened the envelope and unfolded the sheet of paper inside it, reading out loud. 

I signed the papers

 Stevie smiled, but it quickly fell from her face. 

We'll see who wins the sole custody of Matthew