Part 12

A few days had passed already. Stevie, understandably so, had no desire to continue recording Fleetwood Mac's album for now and the band told her not to worry. It didn't feel right to Lindsey to leave Stevie by herself, so he didn't. He stayed with her and so far, she'd been grateful. However, he did worry this would lead to her asking for some space and he knew how that went all too well - it had led them to breakup once already. 

With an acoustic across his lap, Lindsey sat with Stevie in his living room, as she was scribbling something down on a piece of paper, before crumpling it up and tossing it away.

"What's the matter?"

"It's not the same." She said, shrugging her shoulders. "I... I miss my journal." She admitted quietly, as if he'd make fun of it. He'd never, he knew how important for her the thing was. "And I don't have my incense here or a shawl draped over a lamp..." Sighing, she leaned forward in her seat, head in her hands. 

Strumming the strings a few times, Lindsey suggested. "Well, I could take you shopping?"

"It's not about that, Lindsey. It's about... about my life, being in someone else's house. Actually, that's not true, because the damn house is mine as well!" Stevie raised her voice, Lindsey starting to fear that she would finally lash out, releasing all of her pent up emotions. 

"I'm not going to say, that if you want, I'll take you, so you can gather your things, but... Maybe I should go? Just write everything you need down and I'll go."

Staring at him for a moment, Stevie bit her lower lip, shaking her head. "No, I can't ask you to do that. One, Kim won't even let you in, second if you do manage to get inside, the two of you will have a fist fight."

"I can take him down." Lindsey shrugged, flexing for Stevie, just to try and get a tiny smile out of her. 

"I'm sure you can, but I don't want to have to bail you out later."

Putting away his instrument, Lindsey took a seat beside Stevie, bringing his hand up to her face, caressing gently. "I understand, Steph. I practically dragged you out of that house with nothing. I don't want you to go back there, so even if it involves an argument, I'll go." Smiling, he drew her in for a quick kiss. 

"You'd really do that?" Lindsey nodded his answer, but Stevie was still a little unsure. Some more convincing later, she gave in.

Two hours, give or take, later, Lindsey pulled into the driveway of the house Stevie used to share with Kim. It was evening already, by the time Lindsey arrived, yet all the lights in the house were out. Taking a deep breath, Lindsey went up to the front door and much like almost a week ago, rang the bell, but no one let him in. He hated doing it, but he fished for the key Stevie had given him before he left and he put it in the lock and let himself in. 

It was completely dark and silent, except for... for a faint small child's crying. Lindsey frowned, looking around the first floor, once he turned the lights on, but he couldn't find anyone. He then entered Stevie's beloved music room, seeing a small figure curled up into a ball on the couch. It was without a doubt Matthew, covering himself with one of Stevie's shawls. 

"Hey, buddy..." Lindsey knelt in front of the boy, unsure of what to say or do. "Uh, I'm your Mommy's friend. Do... do you remember me?" Matthew's face was streaked with tears, as he nodded. "Good. I'm not going to hurt you. I'm here to help you." Matthew kept quiet, just staring at Lindsey. "Where's you Dad?" The boy shrugged and Lindsey felt incredibly bad for him. "Are you doing alright, Matthew?" Again, silence. "Jesus..." Lindsey muttered, standing up. "I'm going to look for you Dad, okay? Or do you want to come with me?" Matthew slowly raised his arms up, asking to be picked up and it was clear to Lindsey that the small child was terrified. 

With Matthew in his arms, the boy's hands locked around his neck, Lindsey quietly made his way up the stairs, doing his best not to step on an empty bottle. He went straight to the bedroom, the door was opened, so he was instantly met by the sight of Kim in bed, face down, completely out. 

"What the hell should I do?" Lindsey asked aloud, however, nobody was going to answer him.

Thinking for a minute, Lindsey decided to call the police. Kim was clearly not capable of taking care of his own son, he was drunk, maybe even high, who knows, the house was trashed... Maybe that was how Stevie was going to get her boy back.

The police arrived relatively soon and Lindsey explained what he had walked in on. He emphasized that Matthew was alone, crying in a dark room, he was probably not fed, while his father was blind drunk, sleeping it off.

"Do you know where we could find the mother?"

"Yes, I do. She's currently staying with me, because a few days ago, her husband - the boys father, beat her up and he was going to... force himself on her." Fuel to the fire. "I got here just in time."

"Any way you can prove that?" One of the two policemen asked, while the other was questioning Kim.

"She's got bruises all over her body." Lindsey said, nodding his head.

"We need to talk to her as well, I'm sorry, but we can't just take your word."

"I understand and there's no problem, I'll call her and she'll be here shortly." Lindsey was already walking to the phone, Matthew still in his arms.

As soon as Stevie found out what was going on, like Lindsey thought, she completely freaked out, arriving in tears. He did his best to calm her down, so she could give her own statement. But before she was going to do that, she took over Matthew, apologizing for leaving him here, telling him over and over again how much she loved him.

Taking a couple of big gulps from the glass of water Lindsey had brought her, Stevie then confirmed everything Lindsey had already told the police. Kim was fuming, screaming at Stevie and Lindsey, cursing at them and the policeman, who tried to hold him back, quickly putting on handcuffs. 

"She's a fucking whore! Did she mention, she's been fucking this asshole, while married to me?!" Kim yelled, embarrassing Stevie, but neither of the two policemen seemed to be paying attention to those claims.

"Are you going to press charges, Ma'am?" 

Swallowing the lump in her throat, Stevie glanced at Lindsey, then at Matthew, facing the policeman again. "I am."

Kim was taken to the police car, while it was explained to Stevie what was to follow. Several short minutes later, Lindsey closed the door, now it being just him, Stevie and Matthew. She broke down in tears, hugging Lindsey with one arm, crying in his chest. 

"Thank you. Thank you so much, Linds."