Part 9

Everyone had left except Lindsey. What was it that Christine was going to tell him? She got cut off by Stevie and another chance to speak didn't come up. However, Lindsey had a feeling Chris wasn't speaking up, just because he'd been an asshole to Stevie lately. Was it something serious? Should he know? He'd never forgive himself if he let something happen to Stevie. 

It was well past midnight, when Lindsey left the building, making his way to his car. He loaded his guitar cases in the trunk and got in behind the wheel. He was torn. If he went to Stevie, it would only prove that despite how hard he tried, he could never say no to her, that she would always have him wrapped around her little finger. But... 

With a heavy sigh, Lindsey reached for the pack of cigarettes, laying on the passenger's seat, and took one out. Inhaling deeply and blowing out the smoke slowly, Lindsey prolonged the time for just a few minutes, during which he had to decide what to do next. 

Stevie was relieved, when she came home and found it to be empty. Kim's car wasn't in the driveway or the garage, she had no idea where he was nor did she care. Once she put Matthew to bed, she went to draw herself a bath in hopes to relax. The water was running, set at the temperature she preferred, as she then started undressing. She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror and immediately looked away. Without any makeup, the cut on her cheek was still slightly visible, but the bruises on her arms and ribs were staring right back at her.

After a good half an hour, Stevie got out of the tub to dry herself. Picking up her nightgown, she pulled it down over her head and reached for her robe. First applying some cream to her face, she then brushed her hair, before turning the lights off. 

Yawning, she pulled the covers down to get in bed, but the doorbell stopped her. Who on earth could it be? At this time? Stevie went to answer the door, not at all prepared to see Lindsey through the peephole. Should she let him in? What if he was drunk and all he was going to do, was cause a scene?

Unlocking the door after all, she pulled it open and stepped outside, instead of asking him to come in. "What are you doing here?"

"I have been greeted warmer in the past."

"Lindsey..."

"Fine." He sighed. "Are we going to stand out here?"

"Yes." 

"Come on, Stevie, I swear I won't do anything stupid. I'm not going to yell or..." He trailed off with a shrug. 

Considering it for a second, she gave in and reentered the house, with Lindsey following after her. "You're lucky Kim's not home. I wouldn't have answered the door otherwise."

"Why? What's his problem? Does he think we're having an affair or something?"

"He just doesn't like you or anyone else for that matter." Stevie crossed her arms, looking down at her feet. "Why are you here, Lindsey?"

"Christine told me I should stop being mean to you."

"Oh, so you didn't think of that yourself?"

"Stevie." A slight warning in his voice. "I'm here to apologize and also... She said, you're having a rough time, you don't need to deal with my shit as well."

Swallowing the lump in her throat, Stevie shifted her weight. "What did she say exactly?"

"Nothing much besides that. You and Matthew came back."

Breathing a sigh of relief, Stevie shrugged her shoulders. "I'm fine. She's just worried I'll relapse."

Unfortunately for Stevie, Lindsey knew her better than that. She kept a great distance between them, she avoided looking at him and her answer sounded rehearsed. Stepping up closer to her, Lindsey gently gripped her upper arm, causing Stevie to wince. 

"I... did I hurt you?" Lindsey frowned.

"No." She shook her head, placing her own hand over the spot on her arm. 

"Stevie?" Lindsey cupped her cheek, turning her to face him, not without resistance. "Stephanie."

"What..." She finally looked at him, tears in her eyes. "Just go, Lindsey."

"Is that... that's a cut." He brushed his thumb over her cheek. "Oh my God... Show me your arm."

"No."

"Stevie, show me your arm." His voice grew louder, yet when she looked into his eyes that she adored so much, she saw nothing but love, care and worry in them. 

Undoing the sash of her robe, she parted it, then took one arm out and let Lindsey look. "Oh, baby..." He pulled her into his arms, kissing her temple, as she without hesitation, wrapped her arms around him too, crying silently in his chest. "I'll fucking kill him." He felt Stevie shake her head. "Steph, he can't do that! He can't hurt you in any way. I won't let him!"

"You can't do anything about it, Lindsey. I'll be fine. If I keep my mouth shut, he doesn't hurt me."

"Jesus, Stevie..." Pulling back, he cradled her face in his hands. "Why are you still with him? You've got nothing here with him. You don't love him and he doesn't love you."

"But Matthew..." 

"Legally, you are his mother, Steph. You have as much of a right to care for the boy as Kim. You can't keep living like this. I can't stand seeing you in pain." Kissing her gently on the lips, Lindsey brought her closer to his chest again. "I love you and I won't let you stay in this marriage, I won't."

"Linds..."

"No, Stevie. Come on, go get your essentials and leave with me, right now."

 "I can't! My whole life is in here, everything I have..."

"Steph." Again, drawing back to look at her. "If you stay in this house, with that man, you might not even have your life for much longer."

Staring back at him tearfully, Stevie took in a deep breath to calm herself. "I can't just up and go. He'll be mad, Lindsey. He will find me, especially if I take his son away."

"Then what do you suggest!" Lindsey yelled, becoming frustrated.

"Give me some time. Not long, I swear."

"What, you're going to tell him you're leaving? Ask for divorce?"

"I don't know. What I do know is that I can't just disappear like that." She said, wiping away her tears. 

Lindsey started pacing around, running a hand through his hair. He knew it was against his better judgement, but Lindsey agreed. "Fine, but if he so much as raises his voice, you call me and I'll come and get you."

"I promise." Stevie nodded, walking into his open arms. "Thank you, Lindsey. I love you so much."

Kissing her lips once more, Lindsey stopped to stare at her for a moment, wanting her to know that he was serious. 

"I love you, too." He said, before leaving.