Chapter 12 (Last One)

I didn’t get out of bed until two the following afternoon. No one checked on me. Not that I was surprised. No calls or texts from Niall. Nothing. I was alone.

I went downstairs. Kaci and John were playing in the living room. Shaun sat at the computer with his headphones on as loud as they could go. My parents were in the kitchen. My dad was sipping his coffee. He didn’t bother to look up from the newspaper to acknowledge me. My mom was finishing up the dishes from lunch, completely ignoring me too. Why did I even get out of bed? I grabbed an apple and headed back upstairs.

I called Tori but no answer. I texted her to call me but I had a strange feeling she was ignoring me on purpose. There was no one else I wanted to face at the moment so I climbed back under my covers and prayed I would fall asleep.

When I woke up again it was dark out. I blinked at the clock, trying to figure out what time it was. Almost 10. Might as well go back to sleep.

Around midnight I couldn’t possibly sleep any longer. I was awake. Wide awake and crying. No, sobbing. Both Niall and Tori haven’t called or texted me back. I didn’t want to drag Louis or Liam into it.

I sunk to the floor, pulling my legs to my chest and let the tears fall. I didn’t realize how loud I was until my door opened. I didn’t have the strength to lift my head to see who it was.

Shaun wrapped me in his arms and lifted me back to my bed. “Want my opinion?”

“There’s nothing you can say that will make this any better” I said through the sobs.

“I have a strong, beautiful sister that I look up to. We all do. Dad is being Dad.” Shaun grabbed my phone and placed it in my hand. “Call him.”

“I did” I cried. “He won’t answer.”

“Try again. I’ve never seen you give up on anything.”

“I guess there’s a first for everything” I pouted. “This was all a mistake.”

“No it wasn’t. You were happy. Really happy and that usually doesn’t happen for you. Not since that prick Louis screwed you over.”

“I was happy, wasn’t I?” I wiped away my tears and smiled at my brother.

“Mr. Horan, um I mean Niall. I can call him Niall right?” I laughed and nodded my head. “I like him. He’s good for you. I’m supposed to watch out for you and hate every guy you date.”

“You’re 16 Shaun.”

“So? I hated Louis… and Liam. They weren’t good for you. Tell Dad to shove it up his ass.”

I burst into laughter. Shaun and I have never had a heart to heart. Who knew he could be so helpful in taking my mind off things.

“I don’t think it’s going to be that easy. He’s pissed. You heard him.”

“Yeah I did. Since when do we give a fuck what he says?”

“Language” I scolded him but couldn’t help the smile on my face. He’s right though. I’ve always stood up to my parents. I’m an adult now and my dad can’t dictate who I date. I don’t care what he threatens to do.

“Call him” he repeated himself and left the room.

I dialed Niall’s number and waited for him to answer. It was 1 am. It rang four times before he answered. “Hello?” he slurred.

“Where are you?”

“I dunno.”

“Are you at a bar?” I sounded like his mother when I asked.