Chapter 11

Another holiday at the Chambers’ household. I hoped that this Thanksgiving would go better than last. Oh how naïve I can actually be.

My mom was in psycho cleaning mode. She must have vacuumed the couch at least four times. My dad wouldn’t let up on me. He’s been punishing me all morning for coming home drunk last night. I don’t blame him. He’s trying to be a good parent. I was just thankful that he didn’t tell my mom. That was not a conversation I wanted to have being this hungover.

Shaun was lounging on the couch doing nothing to help. As always. I can’t wait for him to grow out of the rebellious teenage phase. It’s getting really annoying. At least I wasn’t around to deal with it anymore. He was solely my parents problem.

Kaci and John were making a mess faster than I could clean up. I would dust down the table and they would spill a drink on it. So helpful. Why couldn’t I have been an only child? What did I do in a past life to deserve this I kept thinking to myself.

An hour before dinner I showered and got dressed. Same as last year my mom was not pleased with my outfit. Jeans and nice blouse apparently aren’t good enough for Thanksgiving dinner. She had bought a dress and demanded that I wore it. My dad gave me that look that said ‘if you don’t march upstairs and change I will tell your mother about last night.’ I didn’t want to hear her lectures and speeches so I went upstairs and put on the dress.

It was alright. Not my taste but I looked good in it and it wasn’t too uncomfortable. But it was white. With the company we were having, white was not a good choice.

When I came back downstairs people start to show up. I greeted them and took their coats into the spare room. The only person that wasn’t there yet was Niall. I texted him but no response.

“I guess we’ll eat with out him” Niall’s mom sighed as everyone sat around the table for dinner.

Liam and Louis were sitting on either side of me. “What did you to him last night?” Liam winked. I felt the urge to slap him across the face but I restrained myself. After all it was Thanksgiving and I had to be lady-like.

“Oh my god” was all I said and covered my face. I cannot talk about my sex life to my ex-boyfriends anymore. It was weird, right? Definitely weird.

In the middle of saying what we are thankful for Niall strolled in. Acting like it was no big deal he was late and barely looking at me as he sat down at the table.

My phone buzzed under my leg and I checked it quick.

From Niall: I’ll explain later.

I rolled my eys and tucked the phone back under my leg.

Niall was sitting next to my mom. She was gushing over him the whole time. Kind of awkward for my mom to be in love with my boyfriend. It was disturbing. But it didn’t seem to phase him.

My mom kept whispering things to him. I wondered what she was saying. Probably something embarrassing about me since Niall kept glancing my way. I wanted to take my fork and stab it through my eye. I hate dinners like this.

My mom was last to say what she was thankful for. Well Niall was now that he finally showed up. “I am thankful for my family. And this beautiful home that we have been blessed with. And I was thinking” my mom paused and looked over at me. “It would be so wonderful if my oldest daughter could find someone as wonderful as this man to my right.”

I choked and tried to play it off as a cough/sneeze. Liam was laughing next to me. Niall had a smile on his face and my cheeks were burning red. “Can we not do this whole setting your daughter up with guys thing again? It didn’t really work out the twenty other times you did it” I shot back at her.