20

6 years later...

Courtney felt her eyes droop as she struggled to stay awake, staring at her computer screen waiting for 5:30 to hit. It was a hot summers day and she wanted nothing more than to go back to her small apartment, change out of the sticky work suit she was forced to wear and take an ice cold shower. She hated when London got like this - the heat was unbearable and felt nothing like the heat of the tropics. The polluted air made the heat stuffy and the tall skyscraper buildings - one of which she had the displeasure of working in - made it impossible for any sort of cooling, calming breeze to wrap its way around her skin.

5:24

Courtney's right foot began to tap impatiently as she picked up a wad of tissue and dabbed her forehead; this was ridiculous. If she worked at any other office she most probably could have sneaked away and nobody would have noticed or cared, but her section manager was a straight up bitch who felt like her title meant she had been knighted by the queen herself. If there was one person she despised it was her. Courtney's phone buzzed next to her, the screen flashing as Ricardo's name popped up. She rolled her eyes and looked at the time again - this asshole knew she couldn't answer he phone whilst she was at work. Her phone buzzed again, this time with a message.

Ignoring me yeah? continue Courtney

'So damn dramatic' she muttered to herself as she quickly sent him the middle finger emoji. Deciding that she was too good to be sitting here baking for any longer, Courtney got up, grabbing her bag and made a bee line towards the staff toilets, hoping to spend the last 3 minutes fanning her armpits with tissue before she could leave.

'Courtney'

Fuck! Courtney turned around, her lips curling into the fake smile she had perfected for Grace. Grace, her section manager walked up to her, her index finger tapping her silver watch before smoothing down a section of her already slicked blonde hair, tied back in a nun bun.

'Bit early?' she asked, her thin lips, that she adored to paint red -with no liner may I add, pursed in disapproval. It took every fibre and muscle Courtney had not to roll her eyes and kiss her teeth. She worked in central London in a busy, predominately white, office - she couldn't bring the South out of her even though everyday this woman tempted her on a different level.

'It's just a toilet break Grace, I'm sure I'm allowed them' Courtney replied, her fake smile remained unmoved from her face - her cheeks tensing from how hard it was to keep it in place.

'Hmm...I don't know, it's a bit convenient' responded Grace with a slight shrug of her shoulders. Letting her fake smile fall a little, Courtney counted to 5 before sucking in her lips and letting them out with a small pop. Her phone decided to buzz once more causing her manager to look down at her bag. Rolling her eyes, Courtney shook her head and glanced at the giant clock on the wall before smiling genuinely at Grace.

'Well I'm off the clock now. Goodbye Grace have a lovely evening' she said, her good tidings oozing in sarcasm, not that she thought Grace would be able to detect it. Courtney spun on her heels and left before her manager could muster anything else to say to add to her annoyance. It was hot and sticky the last thing she needed was to be annoyed even further.

Jumping in the lift and pressing the B button for basement, Courtney unbuttoned her cherry red blazer and popped open the top buttons of her white blouse, tucking her blazer into the handles of her handbag. Courtney wiggled in excitement as she imagined the cold water from her shower hitting her skin and felt a happiness surge through her. It was little things like this after a long painful week in the office that made her day. Almost skipping out of the car Courtney made her way to her car, practically jumping in it, wasting no time in starting her little baby and driving out of the car park. With her windows rolled down, sunglasses on, Courtney belted out some old school Beyoncé as she grinded slightly in her seat.