15

It was a cold evening when I finally left my house to make my way to Renee’s.  We hadn’t really hung out much at College, mainly because I still felt a way about her ignoring me for so long and also because she felt uncomfortable around Ricardo and the rest and because of that I hardly saw her in college except for our English class. Turning onto her road, I thought about how much Renee had changed – she was more confusing and I honestly felt like I didn’t know her anymore. She had continuously asked me to come round on the weekend, and because I had finished my morning shift at the jewellers I thought it was now or never. I had also been avoiding going to hers because of Tyrese. Last time we saw he implied that he felt a type of way towards me. It was weird, crazy and very flattering but it made me extremely nervous – what did he want and what did he see in me? You had girls like Eve who were practically throwing themselves at him, yet his eyes were on his younger sisters best friend. It was weird. My Doc Martens splashed in a puddle as I opened the gate to their house, jumping up the steps before leaning on the buzzer. As usual I heard the coming footsteps and was greeted by the smell of roast chicken as Renee opened the door, a smile on her face.

‘You came’

‘Well you sent me enough texts, so why not’ I responded smiling my thanks as she invited me in. As usual I kicked off my boots and hung my coat up, popping into the kitchen to say hello to her mum before following her upstairs and into her room. Sitting down on her double bed she threw me a carton of Ribena and a snickers before she sat down opposite me, Trey Songz playing quietly in the background.

‘Have you tried this’ she asked picking up, what looked like ordinary grapes, ‘they taste like cotton candy’

‘Ew’ I said holding it gingerly, as if it was laced with maggots, ‘that doesn’t even sound right’

‘They taste nice’ she said shrugging and popping one in her mouth, ‘so what’s going on?’ she asked, crossing her legs. I hugged one of her fluffy pillows before shrugging;

‘Nothing much to be honest, just college and work’

‘Oh yeah, how’s it going at work?’ she asked, making my face feel hot instantly, ‘Tyrese treating you okay?’

‘mmhmm’ I murmured avoiding her questioning gaze, suddenly finding the small speck of what I assumed to be foundation, that was imbedded into her pink carpet, increasingly interesting.

‘He better, Mum already gave him a talk’ she said opening a pack of quavers.

‘Yeah…is he in?’ I asked. Renee shrugged her shoulders and I felt a sudden impulse of irritation at her not knowing. Why didn’t she know? Where was he? I mentally slapped myself as soon as the thought began I reminded myself – it wasn’t that deep, he was only being kind. It’s not every day take a boys kindness as flirting.

‘Eve hates me because of Tyrese you know’ I said quietly. I watched as Renee’s hand froze in mid-air with a grape in her fingers, its journey to her mouth cut short. Her face contorted into a screw.

‘Come again’

‘Eve…she’s got something against me or something’

‘Why?’

‘Are you not keeping up?’ I questioned to which Renee put her hands up defensively,

‘I’m just curious that’s all’ she said, shaking her head as she popped another grape in her mouth as she studied the wall, in deep thought, ‘It’s just weird, like why would she feel a way about you?’

‘Wow thanks’ I said cocking my head to the side,

‘No not like that you plum’ she said knocking me gently, ‘I mean, its not like her and Tyrese aint beat’