17

It was the first day of Christmas break and as usual I hadn't done any of the Christmas shopping yet. The bright and cold air wafted through my bedroom window as I opened it and looked outside, my arms resting on the window sill. The snow had finally settled after snowing consistently for the past few days, and the trees were decorated with icicle ornaments on their branches. A few kids that lived on my road were out playing, building snowmen and throwing poorly made snowballs at one another whilst they all laughed, a group of small girls singing Christmas carols as they dressed their snow man. Shutting the window I walked over to my music dock and shuffled through my music, my thumb flicking up lazily until it landed on Destiny Childs Christmas album. Setting my phone down I walked over to my wardrobe, whistling and shaking my hips as I pulled out my work clothes, setting them down neatly on my bed before grabbing my towel. Turning the music on full volume I left my door open and walked over to the bathroom and showered. Once showered and dressed I looked at my hair and moaned before flinging the extremely messy braids up into a bun, tying a cloth around my head, making it into a turban so that the only part of the braids you could see were the ends – aka the presentable part. Carrying my speakers and phone with me I made my way downstairs and into the empty kitchen, taking out a pre-prepared packet of sliced fruit and some Greek yogurt from the fridge, dumping it into a bowl before crushing up a plain digestive biscuit and sprinkling it on top. I hummed as I ate; swinging my legs as I sat around the counter, glad to be by myself in the house. Claudette had a night shift and wouldn't be home till 12, which is when I started work, so we would be missing each other meaning she couldn't ask me what I got her for Christmas, since I hadn't gotten her anything yet. Putting my now empty bowl into the dishwasher I turned my speakers off placing them into the kitchen draw before walking to the front and putting my feet into my black hurraches before putting on my black parka and grabbing my bag and phone and leaving the house.

It was a busy day at the jewellers; an array of people walking in and out as they brought last minute presents for their family and friends. Usually I could get away with sitting on the stool at the back of the store, mostly on my phone or talking with my deputy manager Lisa, but today I was on my feet non-stop, which pained my back and legs but gave me good reason to not speak to Tyrese who happened to be working today. Smiling at a customer as I gave him his bag I let out a huge sigh as he left the store, the shop going quiet for the first time in about 2 hours.

'Goodness' said Lisa, shutting the till drawer before stretching out her back, 'I don't think we've been that busy all week'

'I know' responded Karen, another worker, 'its crazy how many people do last minute shopping'

'That's why I always do mine from October' smiled Lisa, 'I had it all done by mid November'

'Same' said Karen, nodding her head before turning to me, 'what about you Courtney?' I sucked in my lips before popping them out,

'Yeah I haven't even started'

'Well you better' said Lisa laughing. I laughed nervously before nodding, taking the few minutes of peace in the shop, I sat on the floor and looked through the catalogue, hoping to find something for her here, within my price range.

'We're gonna make a cup of tea, Courtney do you want one?' asked Karen. I shook my head, thanking them for offering before they walked behind me and down the passage way that lead to the staff only corridor. Standing up I placed the catalogue on the glass counter and leaned on it, my head propped up with one hand as I flicked lazily through it.

'Are you even trying?'

I looked up from the current page of rings and at a smiling Tyrese, who was carrying a tray of necklaces he was about to put on display. I smiled awkwardly, looking at the catalogue and then back at him before shutting it and placing it underneath the counter.