Chapter 07

'There's a gift waiting for you.'

Tanmay had messaged her right away. He had been up whole night typing two more chapters of his story, and he wanted her to read them first thing in the morning. Though he knew she'd dive right in, he still left that message are a safeguard.

She may ignore his characters, but she would never ignore him.

A month ago, he wouldn't have spent that much time behind his story. When asked if his story or sleep, he would have chosen sleep nine times out of ten. Because back then, there was no purpose to his writing. There was no destination for his dreams. It was funny how it all changed so suddenly.

It was all because of her, MissMagician.

In the wasteland of his heart, she came in like a fairy to spread her magical magic. Right from the first day, she started spreading her colors on his canvas of black and white. Within no time, she became her most favorite reader. Yes, others came along. Yes, they were prolific writers. Yes, they gave the comments which she never could.

Yet, she had reserved a special place in his heart.

Natasha wouldn't deny that either. Within no time, MrAdventure had climbed the stairs of her heart. Such was the effect of his words that the sandwiches in her lunch box were long forgotten. Riya and the others had munched on them leaving the scraps of bread for her. But she wasn't hungry for them right now. She was hungry for his words. Eager to get lost in the world he had woven.

Natasha glanced at the watch on Riya's wrist. Five more minutes till the bell rings and she was just halfway through the chapter. She quickened her pace of reading.

Just like the countless times before, Mahek crept into the shadows once again. Fixing a silencer on her gun barrel, she waited for the opportune moment.

Across the street, she could see Dev and his girlfriend sit at the favorite spot. She debated whether to cross the road and take a closer aim. But that would mean revealing herself. She couldn't let that happen. She was successful because she knew the value of darkness. It was that one friend which she never wished to leave.

As the precious seconds passed on, she saw another lady walk up to Dev. She extended her hand, which he held in an instant. No questions asked. He spoke something holding her shoulders tight. The lady nodded. Satisfied, Dev engulfed the lady in a light hug. Behind them, Anjali stood up looking a bit shaken. Although, she didn't interfere them.

Mahek couldn't see the lady's face from where she was, but she had learned her simple mathematics. Two plus two was always four. That lady must be the gift which her client asked for. The gift which is to be delivered to him, unharmed.

Tired of watching their happy moment, Mahek raised the gun and locked it on her target.

Natasha was literally biting her nails when Riya screamed into her ear.

"Get back to this world Miss. It's time for our class."

A quick look around and Natasha knew they were already late. But she had to complete the chapter too. Ignoring the class, she was about to look back in her phone when Riya dragged her out of her chair.

"You seriously don't want to miss Mr. Sen's class, do you?"

Riya ran towards the class and Natasha had no choice but to hover behind her. But she had to complete the chapter. Those characters, they were calling her. Asking her to come back like a bullet. Bullet.

She again let her eyes fall on her phone. She bumped into a couple of her seniors while running and even got a nasty look from one of their teacher. Those were all the problems of future though.

At that very moment, Dev's life mattered more.

Taking a final look at her target, Mahek fired. The bullet traveled across the road ready to dig deep.

Before anyone could realize anything, the inevitable happened

Bang!

The sound of a skull breaking reverberated through the air

***
2nd June 2017