Chapter 24: Prophetic

I lumbered towards the house, the massive body on my back making it difficult to venture the lengthy distance. I could feel something thick and wet dripping down the spine of my shirt, causing it to stick to me. Even as my legs turned to putty, I continued to lug this hefty person, paying zero attention to the stabbing pain that impaled my legs with every step.

When I got to the porch, I turned slowly around and crouched down so I could place the person on the steps. I traded off my holds from their thighs to their shoulders as I span around to face them. As my eyes focused on their face, its form and features began to flicker. Duke to Storm, Storm to young Snake. When their lips began to move, I dropped onto my aching knees and coddled their pained faces in my shaking hands.

"You... can't... save-"

I was yanked out of sleep, crashing to the floor with my shoulder and hip taking most of the impact. I laid there a moment completely puzzled, Why didn't they finish? After my second of wonder, I hurled myself to my feet, unsheathing a sai in the process. Before I could fully turn, I was plowed into at the back and sent to the floor. A head-butt, I thought. As I proceeded to rock my head forward and away from my attacker, the sound of a gun firing rang through the room.  I didn't hesitate, I shoved off then frowned at the limp body that had held me to the ground. I quickly patted my person down before surveying the damage to my attacker. A man dressed in all red laid there, blood pooling at his head. A loud groan and creak sounded from the direction of my bedroom door. I swung my head away from the body to the door and found my black-masked savior leaning heavily of the frame. I raced over and caught him under the arms before he could nosedive into the floor. Snake's pistol clattered to the ground as he lifted his hands to my face then placed our foreheads together.

"Yourself," the trio of voices spoke in unison.

"Maverick!"

My mother's banshee-like cry cut me free from the bridge cable ties to the dream world and sent me jackknifing into a seated position on the bed. My throat felt as if it was stuffed full with cotton which confirmed that I'd screamed more than usual.  As I attempted to get my breathing under control, I swallowed loudly, trying to dislodge the lump in my throat.

"Sorry," I apologized, my body still slightly quaking. "Prophetic ones can get really bad."

"That what you meant by tight spiritual connection?" Storm asked from the foot of my bed, earning himself a silent nod.

"Jane has a more logical explanation though," I turned to my mom, who was still robotically rubbing my shoulder. "Care to tell them your thoughts on my condition mom?"

"Usually Maverick can repress her fear behind the walls Grace provides with her bravery and witty speeches, "Jane explained, snapping out of her personal fog. “However, when Maverick is asleep, Grace's walls disappear, and Maverick is left defenseless to deal with the event of her dreams."

"That makes sense to me," Duke stated before sauntering over to my already open door.

"I suggest we all give Mavey some privacy and time before asking her any more questions," Jane offered, cutting off Storm's attempt to speak.

"Just let me get dressed," I grumbled, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. "I'll be down before I'm missed too badly."