Chapter 8 : Sorry

I awoke in a start, jerking myself upright in my bed. I wiped the back of my hand across my forehead to mop away the sweat. I pressed my fingers against my throat and felt my racing pulse. I slammed the palms of my hands into the mattress and made a face at the mirror in front of me out of frustration. After a few minutes, I was calm enough to lay back down.

“Bad dream?” he asked, wrapping his arms around my waist and laying his head on my chest.

“It was nothing,” I lied, stroking his silky brown hair. “I’m sorry for waking you.”

“As long as you’re with me we’ll be fine,” he said, letting go of me and sitting up on the bed.

I smiled up at him, placing my hand on his freckled cheek. He reached up and took my hand from his face. Then something strange happened, his form flicked. One moment he was his brown-hair, brown-eyed, two freckled cheeked self then he was none of that, just a man in all black.

My eyes flew open then as I felt the helicopter land roughly and my backpack hit me in the face. Well, that was nice of you, I thought detaching it from the hook and putting my headset back in its rightful place. I watched Storm and Snake powered the chopper down then I waited for them to get out before I did. Storm supported my bad side and carried my katana as we walked through a hanger packed with jets, fighter planes, bombers, fraught planes, and every other aircraft I could think of.

“Where are we?” I asked, going starry-eyed from all the planes.

“I have no idea,” Storm lied, handing me my katana. “Snake was the one flying and I bet you won’t get it out of him.”

“Why’s that?”

“Snake is one of those strong silent types. It doesn't stop him from communicating though.”

“What side are you on, Snake?” I called up to him.

He held up his right arm, the one with the strange bracelet.

“Snake-eyes is a Joe,” Storm explained, as we joined Snake by the elevator.

“What, no stairs?” I teased as he passed me off to Snake-eyes.

"Sorry but even ninjas like us get tired," Strom smirked as the doors closed, leaving him in the hanger.