Chapter 29: Stories

After filling every visible inch of the dummy with an arrow, I decided to take a break as the others had ten minutes prior. Perfect timing as always, I arrived just in time to get my sandwiches from Roadblock and take a seat on the porch swing next to Duke who was gnawing away at a medium-rare steak and steamed baby carrots. While Snake and Storm sat in the angled deck chairs in front of us eating bowls of rice and different forms of sushi.

"I got to give it to Roadblock," I said, after finishing one of my six halves. "Man can cook."

That earned me noises of agreement along with a side of head nods. It remained quiet as we all indulged in our food. Even as we just sat there everything seemed carefree. I could tell the stories to come after we'd finished would not be so delightful. I, of course, finished first but respectively waited for the others. Snake was second, followed by Storm, then Duke.

"So spill," I ordered, crossing my legs in the seat and bracing my arms were they overlapped. "What's the story behind you two and this ever-present dislike from everything about each other? But first Snake can you go help Duke with his shot. Don't question, I want both sides of this story."

Snake nodded waving for Duke to follow him. Storm moved to sit beside me on the swing and asked, "Where should I start?"

"Start simple," I encouraged him, turning a little so I was facing him. "What caused the hate?"

"Jealousy and pride over a petty title on my part," Storm began, studying my body language, as I rested my arm on the back of the swing and my head in my hand. "Snake had easily gained the favoritism of my uncle, the Hard Master, do to his natural ability to hold his own in a fight and learn quickly. I come to believe because of my envy I was the first to suspect when my uncle was murdered."

I held up a finger and rose from the swing, leaving Storm almost as stunned as I was. I hurried across the porch and the slight distance towards Snake. I grabbed him by the hand and pulled him back the way I came. I sat him where I had been sitting and started pacing.

"Rewind those last four words and press play, please?" I ask/ordered, still pacing.

"My uncle was murdered," Storm said, sneaking a quick glance exchange with Snake. "I joined Cobra for the chance at avenging my uncle. A man named Zartan, a long-dead Cobra operative was the real killer."

"If you two only knew how coincidentally alike yet vastly different our stories are..." I sighed, releasing the handful of hair I was griping. "I can only hope my story will play out as well as yours. I know the rule of the clan for the killing of another member, a death for a death."

Your master was murdered? Snake signed, a baffled look tinting his eyes.

"Masters actually," I corrected, going for my necklace but remembering I had given it to Snake for safekeeping as soon as realized it wasn't there. "But that story should be left for its proper setting. All masters are smart to keep more than one student so my story isn't really mine alone. I think it would be rude to tell it without those involved present to offer their side where mine lacks do to absence."

A/N: Sorry for my stupid laziness every one and another sorry for deleting the chapter in the first place. I honestly didn't mean to do it. The whole mishap just seemed to happen and I didn't catch it until it was too late. Hope y'all can forgive me for the whole ordeal. Remember to vote and comment, it means more to me than you know. I do have a Q/A book up for any of you with questions, and believe me when I say I would love to answer some if you have any.

Love to all you readers,

-Carrath