Chapter 32: Earth

It was just as I remembered it. The grass was longer and the trees were just that much taller. However, in retrospect, everything was exactly as it was the last time I pasted under the green arches that lead the way to The Oak. The only real difference between the multiple other times that I had returned to the village was that I was bringing people with me.

I had let Storm lead, giving him a compass and a witty remark about how not everyone knew the direction of true north. I was behind him with Duke on my tail and Snake bringing up the rear. It's not that I didn't believe in Duke's obvious skill, but I did admit straight to his face that I wasn't completely convinced that he would last very long in a village filled with overly cautious and highly trained ninjas if he didn't stick to either Snake or myself. As for Storm, he always held himself back when it came to me, but even then he was better than some of our masters when it came to swordplay.

The only one I wasn't at all worried about was Snake. I knew that he could take care of himself and would watch out for Duke if anything serious did happen. Snake was loyal to his friends, that why I had him covering Duke's six.

I noticed a definite spike in tension coming from the boys when we started to hear the sounds of chanting. "It's just the Earths in evening prayer. We might even catch my Sister Hanabira before they start heading back to the village."

"Sister?" A honey-like voice spoke as we approached a pretty substantial gathering of green-robed individuals.

"Hanabira," I spotted the porcelain doll face of my sister and forward dismounted Epic to run over to her, enveloping Hanabira in a tight hug which she didn't have a problem returning in equal enthusiasm.

"You are back," Hanabira took my face in her hands, beaming at me before looking over my shoulder at the men of my group. "And you brought others... Are you not worried?"

"Amaya should be fine but I am a bit unsure about Zephyr," I admitted looking back and catching eyes with Snake and then Storm. "At least I won't have to deal with Ian's father and his views on the subject. Ian might enjoy some new faces."

"He is like you, adventurous," Hanabira smiling mischievously with I returned in kind. "You have pride in that. He is waiting at home and will be there when you arrive. We will celebrate your return."

"I hope he hasn't missed me too much," I fretted.

"How could a child not miss their mother?" Hanabira asked all sage-like as she gently gripped my arms.

"I never thought I'd be gone this long," I told her before Hanabira enveloped me in another comforting hug. "I'll see you at the house?"

"Why not come back with us?" Hanabira asked, tucking a piece of loose hair behind my ear. "I'm sure your friends would appreciate a quick arrival."

"So would my enemies," I emphasized, earning a nod of understanding from my sister.