Chapter 14: Sweater Weather

A.N.: Got a surprise for you readers. Yes, the name of this chapter is after the song Sweater Weather by the Neighborhood. You’ll slowly learn that most of the titles are based off of songs. They’re what inspire all my writing. Both this chapter and the next are inspired by the song.

The girl mumbled incoherent words as she came back to consciousness. She felt something brush against her forehead and she reached up, grabbing a hold and pulling someone’s hair hard. “Shit, let go.” She heard a familiar voice and she gasped sat up fast, slamming her head into Jeff’s. She cried out in pain and fell back into the cot. He cursed her and rubbed his head, throwing himself back in the chair he was sitting in.

Lyann peeked her eyes open and looked through her fingers, a small smile spreading on her face. “Jeff.” She said with happiness in her voice and he glared at her. Despite the irritation and anger on his face she still smiled at him. “Thank you.” She sat up slowly and rubbed her arms that were sore.

“Yeah, you’re just a heap of trouble to keep. More trouble than a pet.” She laughed at his complaining while she put her legs over the edge of the bed and started to ease her way onto the floor. Without a delay Jeff was beside her, grabbing her shoulders. “You shouldn’t be getting up yet.”

She shoved him off her and leaned against the cot. Really she didn’t have any balance in her at all, but she felt strange with him being so close. “I have to pee.” She said matter of factly and she looked up to see the embarrassment on Jeff’s face. She laughed again and held her arms up. “If you don’t want me to walk, then carry me.”

He grumbled as if he didn’t want to do it. Regardless he leaned over her and scooped her up in his arms. She curled herself into him, relishing in being able to be close to him again. Although she couldn’t quite place it, something seemed off about him. It seemed like he wasn’t happy about something. She didn’t want to push him so she dismissed it as just her.

He used his foot to kick the bathroom door open and sat Lyann down on her feet. She swayed but he never let go so that she wouldn’t fall. “God I’m about to pee my pants.” She whined and Jeff smacked her across the back of her head. She whined more and held her head, her eyes sparkling with fake sadness from being hit. “You’re being crude. Just use the damn bathroom.”

He slammed the door and leaned against it, waiting for her to finish. He heard her giggling from behind the door and his ears twitched. What was she laughing about now? He groaned inwardly and ruffled his hair. She always had a way of pulling off her happy go lucky attitude. How did she do it? She just barely escaped death and she’s nothing but a ball of giggles. He let out a frustrated sigh.

There was a knock on the other side of the door and he opened the door, Lyann fell against him and wrapped her arms around him. “What day is it?” She asked as she looked around the empty hallway. He guessed she was taking in the surroundings again. It must have been like dreaming the days she was gone and sleeping.

“November third.” Jeff said and he put an arm around her waist and began walking her down the hall to get her back accustomed to walking. He let her set the pace; trying not to get annoyed with how slow she was moving. She was weak, defenseless and helpless. Then again, that’s what he was there for, right? She was someone that needed him. For once in his life he was the center of someone else’s world. And she was becoming the center of his whether he liked it or not.

“Oh, that’s new.” She stopped and pointed, he followed her movements to a new painting that was on the wall. He scoffed and pulled her along. “I can’t believe you pay attention to Slender’s decorations.” Lyann would have crossed her arms to be stubborn but she couldn’t since she was holding onto him. “Well, I appreciate art.”