One Familiar Stranger

A sudden silence fell over the large office, every pair of eyes expectantly waiting for the Elven King to react. Her body froze, completely unresponsive to her mind. The loud beating of her heart was the only reminder that the scene in front of her was real. So many things she would have liked to say, so many things she would have liked to do, and at that moment, she could not think of any of them. All she could think of was the pair of infinite blue eyes that pierced through hers, pulling her like inescapable wide clear oceans, so captivating, so strange and yet so familiar.

"You may be dismissed" The Elven King's calmed voice echoed through the still air as he turned quickly to face the other two elves that sat at the table. His musical voice was soft and at the same time so royal and powerful, leaving no space for argument.

She saw the two elves blink as if awakened from the daze that had fallen over the room upon their entrance, their eyes confused, shocked at the sudden dismissal and she could clearly see that the meeting they interrupted had not been close to being finished. However, the two elves hurriedly picked up some parchments from the table and stood up, silently bowing at their King and Princes before strolling out of the room.

"Arahaelon, would you please gather your siblings and wait for me at the family wing?" King Thranduil's piercing blue eyes turned to look at his eldest son as he spoke, his voice kind and soft, perfectly composed. "You too, Legolas, and welcome back home."

"Yes, Ada" The Crown Prince nodded his head in reply, his face as serene an unreadable as ever, but his previously cold and impenetrable eyes now warm and kind as a green forest.

Her eyes traveled to watch Arahaelon as he gracefully turned around to leave the room. His green eyes caught hers for a moment, a spark of mockery that seemed to tell her he knew exactly who she was buried deep in his serene forest irises. His lips curved up in a gentle smile, and suddenly he did not feel as royal, powerful and distant as he had moments ago. Suddenly she felt that there was so much more to know about him hidden behind his crown prince façade.

Out of the corner of her eyes she saw Legolas silently follow his eldest brother, offering her a wide smile before closing the door behind him. The light clicking sound of the door as it sealed shut behind her back seemed louder in the silence, trapping her in this overly large study with the Elven King. Even her previously drumming heart appeared to have stopped beating, her body rooted in place, unresponsive as waves of nerves and fear took possession of her.

Her eyes remained fixed on the King, who had not moved a single inch. He stood there, only some feet in front of her, standing as tall and regal as she had always imagined him, as she had seen him in her dreams. His light blue robes had to be the finest she had ever seen, the shade perfectly matching his infinite blue eyes that resembled an expanding clear sky. Every feature of his face was so delicate, so defined, and she was sure he was one of the fairest looking elves in the whole Arda. She could feel the incredible power that seemed to float around him, emanating from his majestic figure.

And yet, there was something else his calmed blue eyes, no longer authoritative, no longer impenetrable. They looked so deep, so vast, filled with more emotions and wisdom than she could imagine, staring at her, taking in her entire appearance, studying her face. She felt a new wave of emotions wash over her, emotions she could not name. Her father was here, standing right before her, and yet she could not say anything to him, could not think of anything to say.

Then, as soon as his eyes met hers again, she felt something change. They seemed to trap her, and let herself freely float in their vast infinite skies, suddenly feeling safe, secure. She did not know exactly what it was, but deep in the strangeness of the powerful eyes of the Elven King gleamed a touch of familiarity, a touch of love that her forgotten memories had thought she would never see again. And then she knew, as clearly as she had when she had first met Legolas, that she had seen those eyes before. And she remembered them. They felt like home. It seemed so strange, so distant and false, and yet so real and welcoming.