Chapter 9.

I lifted the metal object, my hand quivering in fear of what I was about to do. My thumb slowly lifted, parting from the fist my hand lay in and solely left the rest of my fingers, pressing down on the green call button.

I shook in shock at the abruption of the ringing sound, calling out through the phone speakers. I placed it gently against my ear, the cold material firm against a quivering, unintelligible, sweating form of a human being.

The ringing stopped but no-one spoke. My eyes averted to the screen, the call had been accepted but why was there no-one talking? Was I meant to start off first? Did I really expect Nathan just to answer like nothing had happened, a simple “hello” and that would be the end of my misery, water gone?

No. And so with the only words I could muster and to be a little unoriginal, I spoke “I’m sorry”.

He laughed cockily, almost imagining one of his light hearted smirks now laying angrily and destroyed, lips slightly pursed as he replied. “Really. Sorry is all you’ve got?”

“Err…Ummm…” I choked out, the perspiration increased on my forehead, dripping slightly as each breath I took seemed to stop the never ending sweat and let my heart beat one second slower than before.

I breathed a heavy sigh. “I know. It’s shit. I don’t really know what else to say, other than that I love yo-“Nathan cut me off.

“Love me? LOVE ME? You’re only 15 years old? How could you possibly know what love is? Huh Niamh? You lied. And it wasn’t just a simple white lie now was it? How long were you expecting to keep it up? Forever? Did you really think I would never find out?” He accused exasperatedly, his breaths deep and harsh with anger as they protruded through my phone.

Small tears were flowing down my cheeks, mixing with my already clammy face and the small drops of perspiration. How could he accuse me of not knowing what love was? Was the time that we were together not anything to prove it by? Age is just a number as everyone says, so why couldn’t he be part of that crowd?

I held in a choke of a cry, tears threatening to spill involuntarily as I lifted an unstable hand, to brush a few away, only for it to smother the wet coldness further into the pours of my face.

“I don’t know. I just…I don’t know. I’m not sure how I can explain it for you to see my side. I really don’t. I never thought about it ending, I never knew if I was actually going to tell, if you want me to be honest. I just thought… I just thought….” I sighed.”I don’t really know what I was thinking at the time or what I’m even thinking right now but the only thing I know is that, I loved you. Okay? I loved you and still do. Don’t tell me just because of my age, that I simply can’t hold the maturity of such a statement because I perfectly seemed capable of it before this all came out. You said nothing then.” I breathed a sigh of relief, getting the whole paragraph of words and feelings out. Before the stammer in my heart came back as the realisation of the harshness of my words would only increase his vengeance against me.

“So basically you’re telling me now that you don’t have a brain? You can’t think for yourself? Or is this all an act?” He laughed sinisterly. “I knew I couldn’t trust you, right from the start. Why didn’t I just listen to myself?” He ignored the other half of what I said, either he didn’t listen or simply decided to pretend to have not, what I obviously said was accurate and correct.

“Of course I can think for myself. I was just afraid, afraid of how you would act, what you would say…well I guess I don’t need to worry anymore since it’s happening right now.  And to trust me? You did and I hope you still can even if it takes you time. Did you not ever love me, all those times you brought me flowers? Took me out for dinner? Or sat in, cuddling up on the sofa while watching a film? Was that a simple chore to you? A daily grimace that you had to face?” I choked out down the phone, a fresh wave of tears pouring down as my lip started to quiver in anticipation of what he could possibly say and how heartbroken I was currently feeling.

“What said that I had ever loved you?”

You see that moment on TV or while you’re watching a film and a woman or a girl hears the worst sentence she could ever hear, that dreaded pitiful face appears and you look at her as if you think it’s the most unrealistic situation that could ever happen. You would never react like that.

And then she drops the phone, hitting the ground without her noticing, her whole frame stuck in one position as those silent tears hit the floor and some of the phone screen. Before she crushes in, sobbing into the ground which she seems to wish would almost enclose her, take her away and never let her get away.

….Because that’s exactly what I did.

Hope you like it! :D <33