Chapter 6.

The kiss lingered, his thumb stroking against my cheek before he finally let go. He took a step back, taking everything in as I tried to form a smile.

“See you soon, gorgeous,” His fingers slipped out of my hand, losing the feeling of his touch I lurched forward. I stopped myself, trying to make myself look a bit in control. He continued to walk out the door, looking behind at me longingly, before shutting the door.

I touched my hand to my cheek, they were wet. I had been crying the whole time without realising, I must have looked like a mess.

The feeling of emptiness took over my heart, as if he was leaving me forever and never coming back. But he wasn’t, he was merely going on tour…around the US and he would be gone for two months at the least.

I knew I needed to keep myself occupied, to stop myself thinking so much about him, to stop myself crying or at least just the right amount. 

So I rang up one of my best friends, Tenille. She didn’t know about any of this and it was better that way. Thankfully I knew if I went out with her, I knew she wouldn’t ask questions about why I looked upset and there was less chance of me breaking down, if there were none.

I met her outside the closest shopping centre, hugging her tightly. She was a lot taller than me which meant I had to stand on the tips of my toes to hug her properly.

“How have you been?” She asked caringly.

“Not bad,” I replied. She gave me a look as if to say that she knew I was lying but she wouldn’t push me. She was too kind so I smiled at her, already feeling better.

“What about you?” I enquired.

“I’m good, let’s get in there and SHOP!” She screamed making me giggle as the other shoppers turned and looked at us. She grabbed my hand and we ran in, going into the first shoe shop there.

All the shoes were gorgeous, trying each pair on but never being able to afford them in a million years. Each time I tried a new pair on she would tell me to strut down the length of the shop in front of her.  Various times I had to stop myself from falling over; being short isn’t handy when wearing heels.

Thankfully, my mind was already elsewhere.

I heard a cough, sounding from the other corner of the room, not through illness but through attention. I let my eyes take an escape from the expensive glittering shoes and across to the attention seeking person.

My first thought was that it was simply a random person, who had no connection to me and I was just being paranoid. But the more I looked and with the movement of other shoppers, clearing the way, I noticed one pair of eyes starting harshly and insistently at me.

The blue eyes pierced at me menacingly, her tanned skin harsh against the white walls of the shop and her strawberry blonde hair contrasted against the racks of shoes behind her.

I quickly turned away, unsure of how she had a problem with me or if I was simply in her line of view. I sat myself down next to Tenille, starting a conversation with her to keep my focus away from the girl to my right.

“Are you going to get them?” She asked, knocking me out of my thoughts. I looked at her confused before she nodded to my hands where I was tightly gripping a pair of black studded heels.

I choked, trying to form my sentence. “Erm no, I better put them back, haven’t I?” I smiled at her which she returned gleefully.

“Might be a good idea, don’t want a visit from the police for stealing,” She winked.

I stood up, off the comfy padded seat, brushing my legs off before marching over to the rack I had taken them from. My steps were light but came to a sudden harsh stop as someone stopped me in my tracks standing in front of me.

I took my eyes from the floor, daring to look up at the person’s face, shock did not return to my face to realise it was the girl from earlier.

Her arms were crossed in front of her, one leg further forward as her hip lay slanted, a pout lying on her perfected blood-stained lips.

“I don’t know why you’re looking so innocent for,” She said bluntly.

“Sorry?” I whispered, slightly unaware of what she was getting at.

“Don’t sorry me!” She shouted, taking a step forward as I took one back, balancing the distance between us.

I stood there, head facing towards the ground again.

“I can’t believe you lied. You lied this whole fucking time!” She said. My eyes itched to see her facial expression, to see what she really thought but I couldn’t dare my eyes to move from the safety spot on the ground.

I felt a harsh force against my shoulder as I was pushed backwards.

“You think that I don’t know,” She said, looking down at me demandingly.

“Don’t know what?” I managed to choke out, trying to make a stand for myself.

“That your poor little Nathan doesn’t really know your real age,” She cackled. “And guess what honey, he’s about to and don’t expect him to stick around once he does.” She laughed again, her witch like manner fully coming across as she slowly fled to the other side of the shop, ganging up with the rest of her friends before trying to escape the shop.

I realised that I needed to keep the act up, no-one knew that I had a boyfriend and no-one certainly that he was Nathan Sykes.

Before she fully reached the exit for the shop, I screamed across “Whose Nathan?” I acted confused, eyebrows burrowing.

 She turned her head, her minions copying her exact movement as she smirked at me.

“You keep up that act. But you won’t be able to for long,” She flicked her head around, her hair falling back into its immaculate place, before she flounced out of the shop in an almost hysterical manner.

I watched her leave my sight of vision before I burst into tears, covering my face with my hands, embarrassment in not being able to hide my emotions.

I felt two arms wrap around me as Tenille hugged me comfortingly.

“It’ll be okay, whatever’s going on. It will be okay.” She spoke calmly.

I just hoped it would.