Chapter Twenty-One- Cadence's Story

2014 Copyright All Rights Reserved

Unedited, first draft

Chapter Twenty-One

Week Six

Tuesday

            "I think I need to share my story this week." I told Doctor Harris. I felt it was the right time after hearing Griffin's. It was the perfect chance to share my life with him and he had to listen.

            "What made you decide that?" She crossed her legs.

            I swallowed and didn't tell her the full truth, "The sooner I get it done, the better. My anxiety about it happening is building and building. I want to do it to stop feeling the stress from it."

            "You can write it down the way the others did, there's nothing wrong with that."

            I nodded, "I may have to do that, I can't just talk about it."

            "That's great news then. You should start brainstorming what to say when you go home today."

            I did just that, Kirsten came over and helped me write exactly what I was planning on saying to make things a lot easier for me. I practiced reading it to her, before I was content with what I was going to say.

            "How does it sound?" I asked her.

            "Like you're dealing with some serious shit in your head, buttercup." Kirsten retorted with sadness.

Thursday

            I was on the bridge of having a panic attack. I was sweating, shaking, and my heart was beating so fast in my chest I thought it would beat right out of my body.

            "Deep breaths, you'll be okay," Chanel reminded me and rubbed a soothing hand on my shoulder. "If you want, I can sit across from you so you can talk to me the entire time."

            "Actually, that might be a great idea." I smiled at her and she sat across from me with giving me thumbs up. I ignored Griffin and Doctor Harris informed the group I would be speaking. I read directly from my paper. I avoided eye contact with Griffin and instead focused on talking to Chanel. It was a lot easier than I original thought it was. She continuously gave me reassuring smiles to let me know I was doing fine.

            Before I knew it, my story was over, the group dispersed and Chanel was giving me a hug. "You did great."

            "Could you tell that I was nervous and that I was shaking?" I asked.

            She shook her head, "Actually you would have never known you were nervous at all."

            "Well that's good." I smiled at her, "Unfortunately though, I'm sweating profusely and need to apply some deodorant."

            "At least that's the least of your worries when you talk in group." She laughed.

            "Thank you, that was really helpful." I slumped my shoulders in gratitude and relief.

            "Anytime." She smiled, "I'll see you next week!" She told me and grabbed her coat.

            Before I put on my coat, the girl with the bandana around her head came and gave me a good squeeze. She didn't say much, but the hug was enough to know she was lending me her understanding and comfort.